ryan_oconnell
Level 3
Level 3

Hello my customer has the following

• CUCM 10.5.2
  • IM&P 10.5.2
  • Jabber 4 Windows 10.5.3
  • Expressway Core / Edge 8.5.1

Automatic discovery keeps defaulting to Webex. All the proper SRV records are in place for UDS / CUPlogin / CollabEdge but since Webex is first in the automatic login discovery sequence.It keeps stopping at Webex as the place to login to and of course when you try to login it fails. If I manually select IM&P from the list in the jabber client, login works fine, both inside and outside the network. I know there are install switches to remove webex from the discovery but this is difficult to manage. 

I asked them if they use Webex and they do. As far as they know they only using Webex Meeting Center, not Cloud IM (also known as Webex Connect). Would a customer having Meeting center only cause this problem? I can't see why it would. Is there some sort of DNS test I can do to see if my customers domain is pointing to Webex Cloud IM?

Ryan

9 Replies 9

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Oh this seem to be a common issue, one that my customer ran into recently. When customers put a request for webex meeting, you need to request that webex messenger shouldn't not be enabled. Its part of the order process, once that many sales guy/account managers are not aware of. You have to contact WebEx provisioning team to disable webex messenger service for your domain otherwise jabber will never work. Once the CAS lookup succeeds, it will go off premise to try and login and because your users are not provisioned there, login will fail.

So get on the phone with Cisco webex team and have them remove your domain from the webex messenger service

Please rate all useful posts

Ayodeji,

Yes I agree, I recall helping some of my other customers through the webex registration forum's and I do remember seeing the option to select Webex Messenger Service. 

Do you know if there is any DNS Test I can perform to prove the Webex Messenger Service may be enabled for a particular domain. My customer is not certain if they ordered it or not as they had Webex Meeting Center for a number of years. It would also be good to know for my own testing going into new customers.

No, I am not aware of any such tool/test. The most reliable is the Jabber CAS lookup. If it finds a webex domain then its definitely confirmed that there is a webex messenger service for the domain.

Please rate all useful posts

The reason I asked for a test to prove is because we opened a support case with WebEx and they say that WebEx messenger service is not enabled for that domain. Yet when jabber try's to auto discover it keeps detecting WebEx. 

I will escalate through my local channels I guess 

thanks for your help

hi ryan_oconnell

i have the same issue, did you found the cause of this issue?

regards

Yes we did find the issue. The company had a parent company who also had WebEx. The parent company had registered the domain and didn't inform them. WebEx support could only assist with their own account. So once the parent company requested the removal of the domain all started working again 

I ran into a similar issue, only it was that cisco had "auto-provisioned" our webex connect domain as part of our CUWL Order. We have MC in the cloud and use IM&P on prem. Once we got them to remove the WebEx Connect  domain we were then able to federate.

I am not sure if anyone mentioned it, but you can use VOICESERVICESDOMAIN XML switch in the jabber-config.xml to get around this, as well as some command line switches and URL switches at time of initial installation to make sure the client can get to the proper services.

Thanks,

Shawn

Hi Ryan,

I would suggest the best option to exclude WebEx  from jabber log-in communication is through the installer switch.

Please use this command line argument msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi CLEAR=1
EXCLUDED_SERVICES=WEBEX

or create a custom installer and deploy it through group policy, please refer the link http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber.pdf

Yes I considered this but didn't like this option mainly because it's another thing to manage. Also the Jabber clients for Andriod, iPhone and iPad are regularly updated through the app store and I could not find a clean way to have these types of clients get the correct install switches. I know we can setup a file and send out to clients prior to install. 

Anyway we solved the problem if you look further down in the post.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: