cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Encryption

satish rawat
Level 1
Level 1

I am sure this question has been raised before but i could not get a clear confirmation.

Need to know if jabber client communication ( windows/mac 10.x/11.x)  ie chat/audio/video is encrypted by default ( at least the way i am reading on cisco docs is that its secure encrypted communication) ? or is it something that is available in the product and still needs to be turned on with additional configuration. Cisco at least seems to publicized it as a secure communication client but not sure if its all done on initial install itself or needs to be turned on additionally with configurations.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Satish,

It is not available by default. It requires configuration on the UC apps and the client as described in the Jabber Planning guide's "Security and Certificates" chapter

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_C04C09E7_00_cisco-jabber-110-planning-guide/Security_and_Certificates.html

Manish

Thanks Manish, doesnt seems like there is one such guide for IMP 9.1, i assumed this would still need CUCM to be in mixed mode for encrypting audio and video..correct?

if you find any relevant info for IMP 9.1 pls forward.

Thanks

Hi Satish,

Yes, cucm needs to be in mixed mode, just follow the cucm 9.x security guide.

Manish

Hi Manish, I am kind of little confused here, the security guide talks about client to client encryption with cisco webex instead of IM presence,

Client-to-Client Encryption

By default, instant messaging traffic between the client and the Cisco WebEx Messenger service is secure. You can optionally specify policies in the Cisco WebEx Administration Tool to secure instant messaging traffic between clients.

The following policies specify client-to-client encryption of instant messages:
  • Support AES Encoding For IM—Sending clients encrypt instant messages with the AES 256-bit algorithm. Receiving clients decrypt instant messages.

• Support No Encoding For IM—Clients can send and receive instant messages to and from other clients that do not support encryption.

Also under encryption icons it says a dark lock means that the client to client chat is encrypted, i opened one of my chat session to a collegue and can see the same icon, does this means that client to client encryption is already enabled in my environment? i also tried to look into local jabber folder under app data on my computer and opend the history file but cannot read any IM messages which tells me that its already encrypted? is there a better way to verify all this ?

Pls see pic

pkinane
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This document should help get you on the right track:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12761481/encrypted-media-jabber-windows-7

Please rate helpful content (i.e. videos, documents, comments) and please select the correct answer(s) if any comment(s) answer your question.