cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Android Tablet to support VCS?

chris0583
Level 1
Level 1

Any time frame on when (if) Jabber for Android (tablets in my case) will support connecting to VSCsimular to the IPad App?  The question was asked for resiliency purposes if there was a need to switch to another platform for Mobile Telepresence (Video) what are our options.   They were speaking specifically about the Android platform.  Right now only Jabber for Ipad can connect to our infrastructure via VCS.  The Iphone and Android apps do not have this configuration option.  It seems all the apps have different features and options for connecting to back end infrastructures.

Thanks

Chris

4 Replies 4

kwuhrman@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Chris,

We don't have any plans to support direct VCS connectivity on Android.  We will be supporting connecting through Cisco Expressway for Remote and Mobile Access for CUCM customers. 

We haven't committed Android tablet support yet - so unfortunately I can't communicate timelines.

Thanks,

Karin

Just my thoughts, but I get the idea that if you have a video only infrastructure around the VCS, and don't have CUCM, as everyone doesn't have it or need it, you're out of luck.  Seems to me like Cisco wants everyone on CUCM, and those that have video only and need just that using the VCS is getting the cold shoulder in considering where they want to put there resources in expanding the market place.  Makes those of us that have a video only infrastructure feel like video on the VCS isn't a high priority anymore.

Hi Patrick,

Customers are welcome to stay on VCS for their video environments. 

However, to take advantage of the latest Jabber client developments, customers will need to migrate to CUCM or include CUCM in their infrastructure for support.

Thanks,

Karin

kwuhrman wrote:

However, to take advantage of the latest Jabber client developments, customers will need to migrate to CUCM or include CUCM in their infrastructure for support.

Exactly my point, those with a VCS environment for video are being leveraged to migrate or incorporate things they don't need to get something that should be provided in our minds.  Reason for this thinking is there's already an iPad app out there right now that can utilize the VCS, so why stop with that?  It's like getting everyone's mouth watering for more, without any notion of providing anything else.