Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have proper DNS in place??

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Win2k8 domain controller  with  DNS  .

A domain logged in  Winxp system installed with  W4J 9.2.1   is able to resolve the name of the  presence and cucm.

but iam using  ip address in place of server address and selecting presence as server type.

iam still getting "cannot communicate with server "  error.

i did wireshark thing - i clearly see some communication happening between winxp client ( jabber)  and presense server.

but unable to de-code exactly what's happening

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What are you filling in for server address?  and what domain?

Also, what is the server name you have configured on the CUPS server itself?  (go to SUSTEM>CLUSTER TOPOLOGY)

(these names need to line up because of SSL server authentication)

also, can you ping the server from the Jabber client?

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

hi dennis !

server type : presence

sserver address: 10.3.64.18

domain name : abc.com    ......this are info iam filling in jabber client which is  NOT  domain logged in .

but i can ping thru ip address both  cups and cucm.

servername in cups: 10.3.64.18    ( yes, ip address, )    yes, i can ping to / from jabber clinet to server .

A  domain logged  in winxp system with jabber client  did not succeed as well  iam getting the same error  " cannot coomunicate with server"

i see that the  jabber client  did not  download the  jabber-config.xml file at all ,,, how can i make it sure that it certainly downloaded .

waiting for u reply

maqsood ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

compartively   , i was successfully able to  logged  from  jabber for android  client ( 8.6.1)  in samsung s2 , using the  BOTuser1   device name .

but  windows for jabber client is having  trouble  logging  in ,,, i dont see jabber-config.xml   file  in   client report .

by   xml look like this :

abc.com

UDS

http://10.3.64.18

abc.com

UDS

http://10.3.64.18

i did followed the cisco  documentation in configuring  server and client  ,,, if every thing would ha

ve worked  according to cisco documentation ,,,,we would not  have forums and discussion groups....

JaredDeJong
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem. I am running 9.1.2 as well and CUP 8.6.4. I am going to try to go to 8.6.5 tonight and see what happens. Please update the forum if you find a solution.

I'm facing the same issue as well. What is strange is that of our 75 users, all but three work just fine, with the three not working exhibiting the same symptoms, which is "Cannot Communicate with Server". All stations are on the same subnet and I've tried 9.1.2, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2 clients. Since most similarly configured stations work just fine I don't believe there to be a DNS or Server issue. In fact, the three that can no longer log in were working just fine until a couple weeks ago when they just started saying "Cannot Communicate with Server".

Hi cgbritton,

Can you confirm if the connection details are correct in the File > Change connection settings dialog?

Would it be possible for you to upload a problem report here following these steps:

• Exit client
  • Delete/Rename Jabber folder under "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications"
  • Start client
  • When the login fails, go to Start > All Programs > Cisco Jabber and click on “Cisco Jabber Problem Report”
  • Save the report on your desktop and attach with this thread

Hi nisarmaqsood,

The format of your xml file is invalid that is why client is not able to parse it properly. Check "XML Structure" and "Configuration Issues" section in admin guide for further information.

Thanks,

Maqsood

I actually got it working later that day by exporting the registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cisco Systems, Inc.\JabberWerxCpp

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Client Services

from a machine that worked and it resolved the issue on the three machines that went AWOL.

I don't have any clients working, it is a new install. Could you be so  kind as to post a screen shot of what the registry keys were? I will  likely need to manually enter them to get this working. Seems strange  though.

Had my colleague share the host file located at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc from a machine that works and then replaced it under the same destination on my PC

I was able to sign in and I do not receive the above error anymore.

maqsood ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

ok ,  i shave a update on this issue !

finally i got it worked , but i did the multiple task to figure it out !  here is the list ,, this is just my personal view not necessary it would be for others 

1. I updated the  jabber client to   version 9.2.2

2. I updated my WinXP SP  and  joined to the domain .   '

3. I  Reinstalled the  Presense  8.6.5 , but  this time with corrent  DNS  Settings , i used the "cups865"  as hostname as against  ip address., and joined to
domain .
4. Deleted and Added the  A record in DNS server ,etc..
5. jabber-config.xml file was re-installed as suggested above  with correct format .

i gave a thought about the  DNS settings  as suggested by  "Jaime Valencia  " ..   as  the error was also

referring it to .

thanks for pointing in the right directions ....   login is successfull,,got a lot of work on its features.

javin.craig
Level 1
Level 1

I had the issue too.  Solution for me was DNS related.  Since we did not have the FQDN of the server in our DNS it failed and to bypass I put it in the local hostfile (good way to test if you dont have access to the DNS servers).  The domain had to match the user domain of the person logging in.  for example

entry in the Host file of

10.2.2.45     cups1.domain.com

10.2.2.35     cucm1.domain.com

in the server selction you would put in whatever resolves to the cups server (I used an IP pf 10.2.2.45)

domain is my user account domain in cups userdomain.com

login

user (Associated with userdomain.com)

then your password.

I am sure that is clear as mud, but it is basicly how ours worked.  However, if you changed the domain on your server for the users, I had to restart my server to get it to work.

Also, jabber for iphone and android worked without any DNS required.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: