I was trying to setup contact photos with Jabber for Windows 9.2.2 (using UDS, photos stored in a web server) and it was not working.
I was thinking that it was something related to localization but after reading your post I tried an earlier version (9.1.5) and photos were showing properly, so it seems to be a bug in this version. Also in 9.2.3, where it doesn't work either.
Do you know if it is a documented bug? I had a look to the bug toolkit and found nothing about it.
I also upgraded to 9.2.3 and still have the same issue. I'm forced to leave the rest of the organization on earlier versions until this is fixed. I haven't had a chance to open a support case yet, but if you figure it out, let me know. I'll do the same.
I've installed Jabber in a new laptop and I can see photos right now.
It's same Jabber version, same user and the only difference I can see, apart from being a new laptop, is that the Operating System is 64 bits...
If you want to give it a try... Maybe a new installation where Jabber was never before fixes the issue for you too. I know that this is not a great solution but maybe it can help us know where the problem is.
I'll do a bit more testing with my colleagues and let you know if I find out anything else