cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows - Logged in user number display (phone mode)

hanlykent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have just upgraded Jabber for Windows from 11.7.1 to 11.8.3.

Jabber is deployed in "phone mode" only.

Previously in version 11.7.1, Jabber would display the user's contact photo, name and telephone number in the top left corner.

Now in version 11.8.3, Jabber displays the users contact photo, name and SIP URI in the top left corner.

Does anyone know if version 11.8.3 can be customised to display the telephone number  either in addition to, or replacement of the SIP URI?

Thanks

Kent

7 Replies 7

Mark Swanson
Level 4
Level 4

What does your jabber-config.xml file look like? Can you share this file? Basically, the parameters located within this file determines the overall layout, features, services, etc. for Cisco Jabber.

Most of these parameters have a default value... true or false. If you don't specify a value, then Jabber applies the default value. In your case, most likely the following parameters are;

EnableSIPProtocol

Applies to all Cisco Jabber clients.

Specifies if the client registers as the protocol handler for the sip: URI.

true (default)The client registers as the protocol handler for the sip: URI.

falseThe client does not register as the protocol handler for the sip: URI.

EnableSIPURIDialling

Applies to Cisco Jabber for desktop clients.

Enables URI dialing with Cisco Jabber and allows users to make calls with URIs.

trueUsers can make calls with URIs.

false (default)Users cannot make calls with URIs.

Now, if you declared the following parameters;

UseSipUriToResolveContacts

Specifies the IM address scheme that the Cisco IM and Presence service uses.

true Use the Directory URI scheme.

false (default) Use the User ID @[Default Domain] scheme.

Example: <UseSipUriToResolveContacts>true</UseSipUriToResolveContacts>

UriPrefix

Specifies a prefix to remove from the SipUri parameter.

The value is a prefix string.

For example, sip: may prefix the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress directory attribute.

Example: <UriPrefix>sip:</UriPrefix>

SipUri

Specifies the directory attribute field that the IM Address scheme field is mapped to.

The value for this parameter can be one of the following directory attribute fields:

mail

msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress

Example: <SipUri>msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress</SipUri>

This would alter how contacts are displayed and advertised throughout Jabber. I haven't noticed this particular problem with any of the 11.8.x releases so I can only assume, perhaps the <SipUri> parameter was mapped to an attribute later defined by AD. Again, if you provide the jabber-config.xml file... it might reveal the problem.

HI Mark,

Appreciate the reply.

Find below the jabber-config-phoneonly.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config version="1.0">
 <Client>
 <Forgot_Password_URL>http://activate.example.local/activate/default.aspx</Forgot_Password_URL>
 <MakeUsernameReadOnly>true</MakeUsernameReadOnly>
 <ContactCardonHover>true</ContactCardonHover>
 </Client>
 <Options>
 <StartCallWithVideo>false</StartCallWithVideo>
 <Start_Client_On_Start_OS>true</Start_Client_On_Start_OS>
 <InternalExchangeServer>outlook.office365.com</InternalExchangeServer>
 <ExternalExchangeServer>outlook.office365.com</ExternalExchangeServer>
 <CalendarIntegrationType>1</CalendarIntegrationType>
 <DockedWindowPosition>TopRight</DockedWindowPosition>
 </Options>
 <Policies>
 <EnableSIPURIDialling>true</EnableSIPURIDialling>
 <ServiceDiscoveryExcludedServices>WEBEX,CUP</ServiceDiscoveryExcludedServices>
 <EnableCallPickup>true</EnableCallPickup>
 <EnableHuntGroup>true</EnableHuntGroup>
 </Policies>
 <Directory>
 <DirectoryServerType>CDI</DirectoryServerType>
 <DirectoryURI>msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress</DirectoryURI>
 <SipUri>msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress</SipUri>
 <UriPrefix>sip:</UriPrefix>
 <MinimumCharacterQuery>2</MinimumCharacterQuery>
 <PhotoSource>thumbnailPhoto</PhotoSource>
 <OtherPhone>ipPhone</OtherPhone>
 </Directory>
 <Directory>
 <DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType>
 <UdsPhotoUriWithToken>http://jabber.example.com.au/photos/%%uid%%.jpg</UdsPhotoUriWithToken>
 </Directory>
 <Presence>
 <PresenceDomain>example.local</PresenceDomain>
 </Presence>
</config>

A few things to highlight:

The "Presence Domain" is set to our local AD domain (example.local). This is the only way I have managed to have the my contact photo, name, and phone number resolve correctly in Jabber for Windows 11.7.1. Otherwise, I am left with a "{jabberID}@" , no contact photo and no number displayed.

In Jabber for Windows 11.8.3 and using the same config file, the contact phone and name display correctly, however the number seems to have been replaced with the SIP URI

My understanding of why the presence domain needs to be set as the AD domain is the following:

If UseSipUriToResolveContacts is set to false (default) Jabber tries to resolve {jabberID}@[default domain]. Since this is setup as "Phone mode" there is no domain discovered. 

Therefore,  I add "example.local" (AD domain) as the presence domain, Jabber tries to resolve {jabberID}@example.local

The Jabber ID is the AD sAMAccountName, so this resolves in AD domain. The directory is searchable.

The Jabber client shows my photo, my name and my telephone number in the top left corner of the Jabber client

The only anomaly is that the "Chat(IM Address)" for each user shows up as {jabberID}@example.local which is not correct (i.e. the SIP URI is {firstname.lastname}@example.com.au}

However, since the client is in Phone Mode, this is never used

If I configure UseSipUriToResolveContacts to be true to use the Directory URI scheme, the Directory URI is setup as msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress in the format as {firstname.lastname)@example.com.au.

Although the directory is searchable and the Chat(IM Address) is shown correctly for each user, I  am left with a "{jabberID}@", no contact photo, and no number displayed in the top left corner of the client

Your name displays a SIP URI because of these parameters;

<DirectoryURI>msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress</DirectoryURI>
    <SipUri>msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress</SipUri>
    <UriPrefix>sip:</UriPrefix>

If configured, you are telling Jabber to replace the default value (i.e. JabberID@example.com) with SIP: and whatever value is under the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress attribute. For example;

SIP:john.e.doe@example.com

You can either;

1. Remove these parameters from the jabber-config.xml file

2. Or, add the EnableSIPProtocol parameter and change the default value (true) to false.

As far as running Jabber in "Phone Mode"... this wouldn't prevent you from configuring or discovering a domain. You can specify the domain via service profiles, bootstrap, jabber-config, etc. You already declared the PresenseDomain parameter within the jabber-config file. However, I believe this parameter should be located under the Directory category.

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I added the "PresenceDomain" under the directory category.

Unfortunately, I tried both of the suggested solutions and neither showed the phone number in the top left of the Jabber client.

However, I did find that disabling SIP URI dialling allows the phone number to display correctly. i.e <EnableSIPURIDialling>false</EnableSIPURIDialling>

However, this is not a solution for us as we using WebEx CMR for video call bridging, and SIP URI dialling is required to reach the bridge over the internet.

I have logged a TAC case, as there were no issues with Jabber for Windows 11.7.1

Not applicable

Did you resolve this issue and/or do you have a TAC case for it?

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes, a TAC case was raised.

Defect: CSCve16042

Kent

sujith.poojary
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hanlykent, We have a similar requirement , We want to use Jabber in phone mode but after signing in to jabber we see userid@ on top left only. What changes do we have to make if we want user extension and First name_Last name to be displayed on the top left?? Can we achieve this while using UDS directory type? please help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: