Jabber for Windows OpenLdap search not complete

at
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we use Jabber for Windows v12.1.2 and CUCM 11.5SU5

Our Contact search is running against open ldap Server 

For Jabber User we define UC Service Profile with the following settings

Directory Profile - Open Ldap Server  with Search Base 1:  o=Company,c=Country (o=Cisco,c=com)

Search Timeout : 30 sec

Base Filter : (&(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)

Predictive Search Filter : sn

Normal contact search in Jabber works (hits < 20)  but there Problems with contact searches that hits 20 or more 

For example we search contacts  "miller"  (sn=miller*).

The result : In the ldap Directory we see 38 hits, but in Jabber search result, we only see 21 contacts

In the Wireshark trace we see at the end of the list (21 contacts)  a packet from ldap Server to jabber Client with 

this "LDAPMessage searchResDone sizeLimitExceeded" !!

There seems to be a restriction on Search Base predictive search ?

Does anybody know an Parameter on CUCM/CUCMIMP Side regarding  this  size Limit ?

thanks

Alex

5 Replies 5

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

Just curious to know if you are in a forest with multiple domains. May be its not searching the entire OUs

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!
***Please rate helpful posts***

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Someone really cranked down the query size of that LDAP server. My understanding (also seemingly Google’s) is that the OpenLDAP default non-paginated query is 1000 results maximum. Being capped at ~20 seems exceedingly small, presumably someone had a good reason though.

To my knowledge, Jabber doesn’t support pagination since you would never attempt to scroll through the product default cap of 1000 results. I lack documentation to prove this but I have spent plenty of time in the Parameters Guide and don’t recall seeing a nerd nob for this.

Perhaps look at UDS instead as a contact source? It also happens to be the only option if you want to roll out MRA.

Hi,

thanks for answering, uds is not an Option in the Moment because we lost many users which are not cucm enduser.

It seems to be a Problem with open ldap Server !?

From Pakte Trace :

I attached the paket the jabber Client is sending to the open ldap Server (predictive contact search)

you can see we search in the whole subtree (o=xxxx,c=de) against sn=schwarz* (Name Begins with, in englisch you would search for sn=black)

Under this root there are About 100 ou's with the user/People...

In the packet we see search request "size Limit:21" (Paket src ip jabber Client pc!)

trace1.PNGI

I never configured the size Limit 21 ...

regards

Alex

i think I found some Explanation … (seems to be Nothing changed here for Jabber 12.x) 

Q. Why didn’t the directory search show the person I was looking for?

A. The directory search results are limited to 25 items. If your search is too broad, your target might not be included in those 25. Narrow your search by including more characters in your entry.

https://uit.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/2013/10/14/JABI_BK_J36E24DE_00_jabber-voice-iphone-faq-9-1-5.pdf

regards

Alex

Hi 

we changed the predictive search from "sn" to "sn,givenName" for contact searching in open ldap.

now, we find the users with surnames that normally have more than 20 hits via their given Name

regards

Alex