Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows QoS - Ports Win7 GPO

Rene Mueller
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

in Jabber for Windows documentation, I read that Jabber is using Media Port Range for Audio and Video traffic. Question, are these port-ranges source ports or destination ports Jabber is going to use?

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

A port can be source or destination, important to remember is that it is a range that will be used by Jabber. What is used as source and destination is quite random and also depends on which party initiates the call and what range the other party supports. If there is no overlapping range that is supported by both parties, no call can be established.

JH

View solution in original post

This is untrue. Each client chooses it's own source ports for audio and video. Jabber then reports these to CUCM which passes them along to the far-end during call setup. Jabber does not influence the destination ports of the far-end.

The documentation is referring to the source ports that Jabber will select traffic from.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

A port can be source or destination, important to remember is that it is a range that will be used by Jabber. What is used as source and destination is quite random and also depends on which party initiates the call and what range the other party supports. If there is no overlapping range that is supported by both parties, no call can be established.

JH

This is untrue. Each client chooses it's own source ports for audio and video. Jabber then reports these to CUCM which passes them along to the far-end during call setup. Jabber does not influence the destination ports of the far-end.

The documentation is referring to the source ports that Jabber will select traffic from.

Mike Goldman
Level 1
Level 1

Set DSCP Values with Microsoft Group Policy

Cisco Jabber for Windows can use Microsoft Group Policy to apply DSCP values Complete the steps in the following Microsoft support article to create a group policy: http:/​/​technet.microsoft.com/en-us/​library/​cc771283%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Create separate policies for audio media and video media and signaling with the following attributes:

Attributes

Audio Policy

Video Policy

Signaling Policy

Application name

CiscoJabber.exe

CiscoJabber.exe

CiscoJabber.exe

Protocol

UDP

UDP

TCP

Source Port range

16384 to 24574

"Low:High"

24575 to 32766

"Low:High"

5060 (for SIP)

5061 (for secure SIP)

DSCP value

Hi All,

I am doing some tests try marking packets on Jabber for Windows, but I have noted that the Policy based QoS not working in Windows 7. I am capturing the trafffic on Sniffer but the DSCP value are showed in 0.

Policy based QoS not working in Windows 7

Does anyone know how to achieve it?

This is blocked by Windows OS. You need to modify it using GPO in windows
to allow jabber to mark traffic.

Quoted:

Restriction:

For later operating systems such as Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft
implements a security feature that prevents applications from setting DSCP
values on IP packet headers. For this reason, you should use an alternate
method for marking DSCP values, such as Microsoft Group Policy.

For more information on configuring flexible DSCP values, refer to Configure
Flexible DSCP Marking and Video Promotion Service Parameters
<>

Thanks Mohammed

I am applying these values by gpedit.msc)  (C:\Windows\system32\gpedit.msc), but I see that Jabber not mark the packets.