cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber information is scarce

ahochau_2
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, I am trying to get more information on Jabber and finding not much out there.  I am getting ready to deploy softphones on Windows for a new client and I do not really like the idea of deploying CUPC or CIPC and then in the next month replacing it with an entirely new client a month later. Are there any good document repositories out there for Jabber related information?

Thanks,

Mark

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will probably gather more by giving it a spin. It's a free download.

Do you konw where can the windows client be obtained?  I know it was in Beta but doesn't seem to be avaialbe on CCO.

Are there any docs for how to configure it with CUPS and CUCM or is it just a "Click on sh** 'til it works" type of idea?

I need to have an intelligent conversation with the customer as to why they should do A or B and don't really have time to to figure it out on my own.  It is very frustrating that Cisco does not have more available if the product is slated to be released in the next few weeks.

Jabber for Mac is available now (no video support though in the current version - coming later on this year).  Jabber for Windows is in its first beta, more betas to be released until its final release in April.  If you are in the beta program for Jabber for Windows, then definitely try the product out, but beware it is not up to its full potential yet, and I would not think about deploying it in a large environment until later this year (has many features that are not going to make the FCS release date).  It will not even have all the features that CUPC for Windows currently does, and is lacking several key features of the competition (Lync) such as desktop sharing (without the use of a prior video conference) and VPN-less connectivity.  -J.

+5 for Jeremy; I totally agree: Jabber for Windows is probably a year away from being useful to anyone. The FCS release due out this summer isn't even going to provide feature parity to the current CUPC 8.5 release. Yes, it will do some things CUPC today doesn't but they started over with the code which takes us back to an effective 1.0 software release [for the third time]. For now, sell/install CUPC.

For CUPC there is a fair amount of documentation:

Release Notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_5/english/release/notes/cupc85.html

Admin Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/install_upgrade/deployment/guide/deploy.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: