Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber MRA cannot make external calls

cehr_itsupport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Hoping someone can help with a Jabber MRA problem. This seems to be affecting the later Jabber release 1.8.x and I on IOS (TCT) and Android (BOT) plus Windows and Mac devices and I reckon it's codec related. The problem is we cannot dial any external landline or cell \ mobile numbers through MRA; this happens when the MRA device is connected to WiFi and 4G\cell. The Called party device rings once and then the call automatically disconnects. The call logs report "501 Not Implemented" and "Reason: Q.850;cause=65".

Call route is Jabber MRA device > Expressway-E > Expressway-C > CUCM > SIP Trunk to SIP provider (BT)

Windows CSF devices work fine through MRA using earlier Jabber v11.7.0.
Calls to internal numbers from any MRA device are OK (on Wifi and 4G).

CUCM is v11.5.1.13900-52
Expressway Edge and Core are vX8.10.1
Jabber on IOS and Android is latest v11.9.1

I've had a look at the call logs and I can see that the INVITE from the IOS \ Android devices includes an additional audio codec (number "111") compared to the CSF:

INVITE from Expressway to CUCM
==========================

v=0
o=tandberg 0 1 IN IP4 xxxxx
s=-
c=IN IP4 xxxxx
b=AS:1024
t=0 0
a=cisco-mari:v1
a=cisco-mari-rate
m=audio 55360 RTP/AVP 114 9 104 105 0 8 18 111 101
a=rtpmap:114 opus/48000/2
a=rtpmap:9 G722/8000
a=rtpmap:104 G7221/16000
a=fmtp:104 bitrate=32000
a=rtpmap:105 G7221/16000
a=fmtp:105 bitrate=24000
a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000
a=rtpmap:18 G729/8000
a=fmtp:18 annexb=no
a=rtpmap:111 x-ulpfecuc/8000
a=fmtp:111 max_esel=1420;m=8;max_n=32;FEC_ORDER=FEC_SRTP
a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000
a=fmtp:101 0-15
a=extmap:14/sendrecv http://protocols.cisco.com/timestamp#100us
a=sendrecv
a=rtcp:55361 IN IP4 10.x.x.x

INVITE from CUCM to SIP Provider - includes the same 111 codec:
=================================================

v=0
o=CiscoSystemsCCM-SIP 4388142 1 IN IP4 xxxxx
s=SIP Call
c=IN IP4 xxxxx
b=TIAS:8000
b=AS:8
t=0 0
a=cisco-mari:v1
a=cisco-mari-rate
m=audio 55360 RTP/AVP 18 114 111 101
a=rtpmap:111 X-ULPFECUC/8000
a=rtcp:55361 IN IP4 10.x.x.x

OFFER from SIP Provider back to CUCM
=================================

We see the SIP Provider offering back the following. The "m=8;max_n=32;FEC_ORDER=FEC_SRTP 0" attribute seems completely out of place.

v=0
o=genband 322521088 1508711079 IN IP4 xxxxx
s=-
c=IN IP4 xxxxx
t=0 0
m=audio 47230 RTP/AVP 18
a=ptime:20
m=8;max_n=32;FEC_ORDER=FEC_SRTP 0
a=rtpmap:18 0 annexb=no

Question then is is this an issue with the Jabber app, CUCM, Expressway or the SIP provider, or something else completely?

Thanks

Lee

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oh, in that's case I think that the only way is using normalization script becasuse CUCM barely let you decide the codecs.

Use this guide to create a simple script that can affect the SDP, there's a remove line function from sdp message described over there:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/sip_tn/8_5_1/sip_t_n/4-sdp_api.html

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

I think that it has something to do with the codec G729. Why is your service provider working with G729? Why not G711U or G711A? I think if they'll negotiate G711 U/A or it'll work fine.
In the document "Planning Guide for Cisco Jabber 11.8" there's some note about the supported codecs, you can see it here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_planning-guide-jabber-118/cjab_b_planning-guide-jabber-118_chapter_01.html#CJAB_RF_S7E65AD2_00

Not 100% sure about what they're stating about G729A, about the low-bandwidth mode... but maybe it is something that is getting in you way.
Can't you ask your service provider to work on G711 A/U? Or you're working with G729 on intention?

Edit:

Oh, I now understand what is the "low bandwidth mode" they are referring to. In your Cisco Jabber settings in the mobile phone application, you can choose in the Audio & Video options (as I recall) if you want to enable "Low Bandwidth mode". Just out of curiosity, try to enable it and make a call. If it works, so the solution is to change the negotiated codec from ITSP side to be G711.

Thanks Slavik,

By low bandwidth mode we mean the setting within the Jabber app which forces G729a when the device is connected to low bandwidth.  We are having the same problems whether this setting is enabled or not.  The SIP Traces show that Expressway is offering codec "111" in the INVITE to CUCM and CUCM is then offering this to the SIP provider:

m=audio 55360 RTP/AVP 114 9 104 105 0 8 18 111 101
a=rtpmap:9 G722/8000
a=rtpmap:104 G7221/16000
a=fmtp:104 bitrate=32000
a=rtpmap:105 G7221/16000
a=fmtp:105 bitrate=24000
a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000
a=rtpmap:111 x-ulpfecuc/8000
a=sendrecv
a=rtcp:55361 IN IP4 [EXP-C IP]

I've no idea what the "111" codec is and it is not listed as a supported codec in the Jabber 11.9 Deployment Guide.  So either there's something odd in the Jabber MRA apps, or Expressway is doing something odd.

The codec offer received by CUCM from the SIP provider includes only G.729, but includes a strange m=8 line (in bold) which seems to be related to the original offer sent by CUCM:

m=audio 47230 RTP/AVP 18
a=ptime:20
m=8;max_n=32;FEC_ORDER=FEC_SRTP 0
a=rtpmap:18 0 annexb=no

The SIP provider supports G.722, AMR-WB(G.722.2), G.711 A-Law, G.711 µ-Law, G.729/G.729A,
AMR, GSM-EFR, T.38 for fax and RFC2833/4733 telephone-events for DTMF.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Lee

Hi,
The "111" you're seeing is a codec named OPUS, which introduced in CUCM from version 11.x. This codec probably won't do you any harm here, but you can try to disable it. Just go to CUCM -> Service Parameters -> CallManager (select it). Find "Opus Codec Enabled", and check it as Disabled. It should do the trick.
Anyway, it is good the ITSP is supporting all the codecs you said they support, but as you can see the prefer to negotiate SDP with you in G729. So what I purpose is actually contact your ITSP and ask them to prefer G711A/U in the negotiation. Because on your end is fine, you're suggesting all the relevant codes, it's them that are only giving you G729 in the negotiation.

Hi Slavik,

Disabling Opus didn't work unfortunately...  With OPUS disabled in CUCM we see that INVITE from CUCM to SIP provider now does not include codec 114 (Opus), but 111 is still there and it's 111 that appears to be causing the problems.  Could 111 be either the iLBC or iSAC codecs?

As I say this has only happened with the introduction of Jabber 11.9 and latest version of the Expressway Edge-Core solution.  An MRA device running Jabber 11.7 works perfectly and will successfully negotiate G729/G711 as we prefer.

Thanks

Lee

Yeah, you can try to disable iSAC and iLBC. I'm always doing it when I install a new CUCM.

Thanks but still having the same problem.  Have tried disabling OPUS, iLBC, iSAC and G722 but none of these remove the 111 codec being sent from UCM to the SIP provider.

I saw reference here to 111 potentially being the "SIREN" codec and linked to Microsoft?  Have Cisco included this for future compatibility?

Does Expressway have any say in the codecs offered to UCM, or is the offer always initiated by the calling device, i.e. the MRA device?

Lee

I'm trying to look for a way to remove it, not sure yet if it's possible, but from what I could find is that it's something introduced in 11.5. From what I understand, it's a new feature and it should be fully supported in the Expressway and CUCM.

Uneven Level Protection Forward Error Correction (ULPFEC) Support for Audio Stream

Previous releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager supported forward error correction (FEC) for video stream only. With this release, Cisco Unified Communications Manager also supports X-ULPFECUC for audio stream. With this support, the endpoints and infrastructure applications are more resilient to media packet loss and provide higher audio quality to the users. This feature enhances the audio quality during conferences that traverse the public Internet, business-to-business (B2B), mobile and remote access (MRA) solutions.

Hi Slavik,

That's starting to make sense now - X-ULPFECUC definitely seems to be the cause.  Unfortunately I cannot find any reference to how we could disable this, either on CUCM, Expressway or Jabber app..

I think the next step is to raise with our CUCM support who may then log with TAC.

As I mentioned before this only seems to be happening on the later versions of the Jabber app which suggests that it is Jabber that is offering this codec and Expressway and CUCM are simply passing that through to the SIP provider who cannot handle the request cleanly.

This isn't looking good!

Lee

By the way. Are you using CUBE in the middle? If so, aren't you using "voice class codec" towards the ITSP in order to restrict the codec list? Maybe if you'll use it, this codec won't be passed to the service provider, and they won't return it back to you. Although, I have a feeling that you won't see this codec on the external interface negotiation with the service provider, but on the internal interface it might still show. Check it out.

Edit:

Actually I'm looking on a trace from my system, I also see this offered in the SDP when it reaches my Voice Gateway (running CUBE):

a=rtpmap:111 X-ULPFECUC/90000

But when the CUBE sends the INVITE to the ITSP, it won't send it with this codec, and I'm not sure it is because the "voice class codec" configurations or maybe this gateway still doesn't support and familiar with this codec. Anyway, when ITSP is offering me back the negotiated codec, and this 200 OK SIP messages is going in through the internal interface, and I don't see the "111" anymore.

Thanks Slavik,

Unfortunately we're not using CUBE; the CUCM is directly connected to the SIP Provider via SIP Trunks configured in CUCM.  Perhaps we could apply a SIP Normalization script or something on the SIP Trunk to the provider?

Lee

Oh, in that's case I think that the only way is using normalization script becasuse CUCM barely let you decide the codecs.

Use this guide to create a simple script that can affect the SDP, there's a remove line function from sdp message described over there:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/sip_tn/8_5_1/sip_t_n/4-sdp_api.html

Thank you Slavik!  You beat me to it - I’ve just found the same resource.  I’ll have a go

in the morning and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again

Lee

So the SIP Normalization Script isn't working!  Here's what I've got and it's applied to the SIP Trunk between CUCM and Expressway.  My theory being this script should act on all outgoing INVITES and remove the two lines in question.  Problem is it appears to be doing nothing.  I've tried resetting the trunk and that make no difference..  thoughts anyone? 

Thanks
Lee

M={}
trace.enable()
function M.outbound_INVITE(msg)
local sdp = msg:getSdp()
if sdp
then
sdp = sdp:removeLine("a=rtpmap", "x-ulpfecuc")
sdp = sdp:removeLine("a=fmtp", "m=8;max_n=32;FEC_ORDER=FEC_SRTP")
trace.format("SDP-UPDATED")
msg:setSdp(sdp)
end
end
return M

OK, I also tried on my end and the same result, no matter if I do it on the inbound or the outbound the "ulpfecuc" isn't being stripped from SDP.
Sorry mate, I have no idea what else can be done.
In my case I have a CUBE in the middle, and CUBE isn't passing this codec to ITSP. By the way, I would never connect myself directly to the ITSP via SIP, it is not secure.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: