cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber on iPhone XR randomly stops working

BadPat
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings. First I wanted to state for the record I am not part of the team that builds the network for our business. I am simply the lowest tier in the IT Support staff at a derelict location. I am looking for support that can either help me figure out the problem and solve it locally or gather information on possible solutions to send up the chain of command in hopes to fix the issue.

The company I work for uses the Jabber application on an iPhone XR. The phone originally was for traveling team members between facilities until that was no longer necessary so it was reutilized for our in-house needs. We use Cisco IP phones on the work floor and we have a private line to use for on-site "IT support". We use the same number on the iPhone. My manager set up Jabber and it worked fine for the most part, but recently calls won't come through to the iPhone even when sitting next to a desk phone that is ringing.

We're using the latest update for the app through the apple store. I've checked settings and everything seems to be set up properly; however when I do have it working and I leave the desk to go on the work floor the phone will not ring. It's not on silent.

Any assistance would be welcome. Please and thank you.

“If we worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true really is true, then there would be little hope for advance.”
― Orville and Wilbur Wright
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sankar Voleti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Jabber client on the iPhone un-registers or disconnects from the callmanager (cucm) server after a period of inactivity either due to going to the background or the phone is locked. The timer is controlled by the iOS which is not something that Jabber has any control on. To keep it simple, the iOS terminates the connectivity between the Jabber client and cucm usually after 5 minutes or even less when the handset is locked. Hence, calls will not ring on iPhone and only ring on other devices that share the same line.

To avoid this issue from happening, you can configure Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) on cucm. It allows the cucm server to send a notification about incoming calls to the jabber client even when it's unregistered. The client will then wake up, registers with cucm again and receives the call.

More details about APNS are available in this document - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/push_notifications/cucm_b_push-notifications-deployment-guide/cucm_b_push-notifications-deployment-guide_chapter_01.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sankar Voleti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Jabber client on the iPhone un-registers or disconnects from the callmanager (cucm) server after a period of inactivity either due to going to the background or the phone is locked. The timer is controlled by the iOS which is not something that Jabber has any control on. To keep it simple, the iOS terminates the connectivity between the Jabber client and cucm usually after 5 minutes or even less when the handset is locked. Hence, calls will not ring on iPhone and only ring on other devices that share the same line.

To avoid this issue from happening, you can configure Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) on cucm. It allows the cucm server to send a notification about incoming calls to the jabber client even when it's unregistered. The client will then wake up, registers with cucm again and receives the call.

More details about APNS are available in this document - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/push_notifications/cucm_b_push-notifications-deployment-guide/cucm_b_push-notifications-deployment-guide_chapter_01.html

Thank you for the response. I'll push this to my superiors in hopes it could be done. Thank you for the insight.

“If we worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true really is true, then there would be little hope for advance.”
― Orville and Wilbur Wright

bfollmer1
Level 1
Level 1
While in office and sitting next to a phone that is ringing while the iPhone XR is doing nothing, is the XR connected to the cellular network or to the company Wi-Fi network? It would seem the issue may be Wi-Fi network related? You may want to check with that team and possibly have them build a dedicated SSID, open the correct ports and enable port fast. You will also want to address DNS configurations.

Ahmed Abdulle
Level 1
Level 1

I assume at first that this may have to do with the Push Notifications as Gangabhavani said. 

It allows the end Apple or Android Jabber app to be notified of incoming calls and IM messages. Also, it keeps Jabber registered on the Call Manager for the Phone Services when the Jabber app sent to the background by iOS or Android OS.

Check if this enabled on your cluster if you have access to your Call Manager under Advanced Features > Cisco Cloud Onboarding

Regards,