cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber on Windows 10 Not Saving Audio Settings After Reboot

mbernardo1
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Jabber Audio Settings are not being saved or remembered after a reboot. I have set the audio settings to use the Headset Earphone/Microphone and clicked Apply then OK. Calls are sent and received properly through the headset. However, whenever Windows reboots, and Cisco Jabber opens, the Audio settings are automatically changed to use the built-in Speakers/Microphone. Please help.

• Jabber Version: 10.6.2 Build 59142
  • External Headset: Plantronics C310-M
  • Internal Audio: Realteck HD Audio
35 Replies 35

As suggested above. Go to audio settings, but ignore the first page, scroll to the bottom and click "advanced". There modify the order such that your preferred device is at the top and save.

This will persist across jabber restarts, reboots, whatever. At least until you clear your jabber cache the next time then you may need to redo this.

Yes I tried re-sorting the preference list with the desired default device at the top of the list. The changes do not stick. The list is still re-sorted by Jabber. Also one of our help desk staff was able to re-create the issue using their own computer. I have been doing this nearly every day for months. I change the preference list with the desired device at the top of the list and save. The next day the list has been re-sorted with a random order.

I understand that the first device in each of the preference lists is the device that Jabber uses by default. The problem is that the lists are getting re-sorted so the default device keeps changing and I have to set it back. Modifying the preference list only works for a single Windows session. Once I restart or log out of Windows then the list gets re-sorted again.

I found a work-around and that is to disable as many audio devices in Windows as you can.

1. Right click the sound icon at the bottom right
  2. Click Open Sound Settings
  3. Click Manage Sound Devices
  4. Click sound device and click Disable.

Do this for all devices that you don't use or you're willing to temporarily disable. These devices can be enabled later from the same menu. This will have to do for now.

I really hope Cisco is able to make progress on this issue. It absolutely is not resolved by modifying the sort order. At least not for me. I've updated the sort order dozens of times and the settings do not stick. Super aggravating.

I just want to point out that this is still an issue. For roughly the past two years I've been having to change my audio settings every day in Jabber because the settings don't stick. None of the solutions offered in this forum work for me. The only solution on my end is to physically remove or unplug every audio device from my motherboard, leaving only one sound input device and one sound output device. That's not possible for me as I have multiple audio devices that I regularly use. Surprising how this has remained a bug for so long. Our Help Desk was able to verify the issue.

Worth pointing out, I am a software developer myself so am not completely clueless behind the keyboard.

mking2
Level 1
Level 1

I followed the steps to open Advanced settings and use the arrows to arrange the audio devices in order but after a reboot, the settings were changed again. 

bobhansen128
Level 1
Level 1

Changing the sort order in the Advanced section doesn't fix the issue for me. The order of devices in the list changes every day when I log in to my virtual environment, causing a different device to be the primary (selected) device. I'm using Jabber 12.9.6.55898 Build 305898.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: