cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber on Windows Phones?

cackerson1
Level 1
Level 1

Any news on when and if Cisco will release a Jabber client for Windows Phones? 

What about a version of Anyconnect for Windows Phones?

Seems to me if they want to grow market share vs Lync they should target the Windows Phone.

24 Replies 24

kwuhrman@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Craig,

At this time we don't have any committed plans for Windows Phone.  We are closely monitoring general market uptake and enterprise deployments however.

Thanks,

Karin

Any news on this or Windows 8 (RT) ? Android Client Voice is horrible, Iphones to expensive and Nokia Mobiles had very good Wifi Chipsets for SIP years before iphone...

This is under consideration in some of the latest slides I saw. There is an active team now evaluating it

At least there is some forward movement but no committed dates so far

Thanks

Srini

mschmidtwest
Level 1
Level 1

+1 to doing a Jabber client for Windows Phones.  The new WebEx client on Windows Phones works great.  If MSFT can do Lync on iOS and Android, Cisco can do Jabber on Windows Phone.

There is at least an explanation here on why it is taking long

Re: Jabber for windows 8

TravisRyals
Level 1
Level 1

Definitely agree on the need for a Jabber client on Windows phone.  It is getting close to 10% of of the market.  This is small compared to iOS and Android, but still represent millions of users.  There is a Blackberry client has no market share.

Jabber for Everyone

cackerson1
Level 1
Level 1

It has been over 1 year since I posted my original question.  Why is Cisco taking so long on this?  Jabber still does not work on all Droids, and no Windows phone.  It barely works on my Iphone.  Very disappointing.

Hi Craig,

We have no plans to develop Jabber on Windows Phone 8 - that is due to lack of open sockets on WP8 which are required for Jabber to get notified of incoming (time sensitive) events such as calls.  Also refer to the following thread for more details:

Re: Jabber for windows 8

We are investigating options on Windows 10 (mobile) and are in discussions with Microsoft around limitations that we are currently aware of.

As to Android, we have significantly expanded the number of supported devices over the last year.  However, the Android device space remains highly fragmented and we continue to encounter issues with some devices.  If you have specific device needs, please let us know as we are actively working to expand according to customer needs.

Finally, can you elaborate around iPhone?  Have you filed a TAC case?

Thanks,

Karin

Hi Karin,

I was finding info about Jabber for Windows phone and landed here.

Thanks for the details. Currently in store there are three apps from "Cisco Systems" namely

1. Cisco WebEx Meetings

2. AnyConnect

3. Cisco AirProvision

Also, I am using Windows 10 mobile & if a tester a required for Cisco Jabber for Windows Phone 10, please include . I will be happy to join the test program & contribute to the same.

Regards

Rishi

kwuhrman So I'm testing the Cisco Jabber 11 EAP now, and am very disappointed. 3 things:

1. No universal installer -really??? Windows 10 is 25 days out now and no Universal app yet, really??

2. On that note, the Jabber Client for Windows does not support High DPI on the Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 Pro - with the latest firmware.  Also, we are noticing a GAP in Touch support. It is almost like Cisco does not want to work with Enterprises using Microsoft workstations.

3. With the new APIs and SDKs from Microsoft for the Universal developers, what excuse is Cisco using now for not developing or addressing a universal, let alone, a Windows Phone/Mobile application built on the newest windows 8.1 phone SDKs or the the Windows 10 API stack?

I'm sorry, for being so direct, but when the product is advertised to work on any platform, but only works on iOS, what kind of accountability is Cisco taking for falsely selling their product?

I have been testing Windows Phone 10 for the past few weeks and the platform looks really good. Hopefully jabber will be released soon, it leaves a gaping gap in the Cisco offering.

We have just rolled out CUCM V9 across our 2000 user base and we are heavily reliant on Windows handheld devices and were sold on the idea we could have 'Jabber for everyone'   but clearly not!. We have a big need for Jabber to work on Windows for mobile we aslo have developers writing apps for our mobile devices and we are happy to beta test aswell.

Dear kwuhrman,

I have Microsoft Lumia 640 XL LTE dual Sim with Window 8.1 update 2, i love it and don't want to use IPHONE or any ANDROID phone.

when we can see JABBER working my NOKIA ?

Please see earlier responses - our plans have not changed.

Thanks,

Karin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: