Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber PC not registering url protocol handlers

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

We just ran into this - it seems if we deploy Jabber (just run the msi) on our own environment (productive and lab), it registers url protocol handlers for a bunch of protocols, for instance tel:. So you can then do "start - run", and enter something like "tel:1234" send it, and jabber will prompt you to dial 1234.

If we install the very same software in the environment of our customer, those url registrations are not made (there's nothing in the registry and nothing under the default programs control panel applet)

There's no policy section in the config file that would turn off such registration.. so does anybody have an idea why those registrations can't be made in certain instances?

Thanks

Stephan

7 Replies 7

Stefan Laimer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have the same problem on some workstations.

It does not depend on the operating system since i had the problem on Windows 7/8/8.1 and now on 10.

I'm not able to assign Jabber as the default program for the TEL protocol because its not in the list:

Today i tried version 11.5(0), no luck.

Is there a solution in sight Cisco?

Regards,

Stefan

If I recall correctly, it was out jabber.xml file that caused the problem. Ping me again next week and I can ask my colleague who finally fixed it how the fix looks like.

hello stephan,

please ask your colleague when you have time.
thx

Are you using a jabber.xml file? There's a parameter in there to enable or disable registering of that uri (EnableTelProtocolHandler). We originally didn't have that when we first rolled out Jabber. We've also upgraded Jabber along with setting this parameter, so it's not 100% clear whether it was just the parameter or whether the client upgrade also had something to do with it.

Also, make sure to double check the parameter with the reference guide for the jabber version you're using.. sometimes the names of the parameters change. E.g. this is the one for 11.5. We've gone through 10.x, 11.1 and 11.5 in this project.

Hello Stephan,

no we're not using a jabber.xml, but the setting EnableTelProtocolHandler should be enabled by default.

I had still no luck getting it to work...

Ryan Huff
Level 4
Level 4

If you are referencing the ability to type in a URI style address in the Jabber Client and have it prompt you with the ability to call the URI, you need to make sure that URI dialing is enabled in the CUCM cluster and also enabled in the Jabber Configuration (via jabber-config.xml).

If you have some time, you might find a blog post I wrote a while ago useful: http://ryanthomashuff.com/2014/11/jabber-for-windows-client-10-5-uri-dialing-it-can-be-done/

The ability to associate specific applications with protocol handlers (or to have specific protocol handlers available) within the OS is typically seen as the responsibility of the OS manufacturer.

Thanks,

Ryan

(: ... Please rate helpful posts ... :)

jurijzvab
Level 1
Level 1

Just download version 12. Works like a charm.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: