cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber screen share and firewall

Phil Bradley
Level 4
Level 4

I am trying to use jabber screen share between my local windows clients and it appears that it uses random ports to make the initial connection. I have referred to this document for the ports.

https://help.webex.com/en-us/WBX67527/What-Ports-does-Cisco-Jabber-Use

However, when I wireshark this I see the initial connection from the client using a random port below the ones listed of 49152–65535. It looks like the remote client viewing the screen does a three way handshake using the source range of 49152-65535 but the destination port is below this range. Windows firewall will block this inbound connection from the remote client so screen share fails. Is there a way to limit this port or tighten this up in the firewall? I do not want to allow inbound connections from internal clients from any port. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Try the parameters to adjust the ports, if they're not being followed you might want to reach out to TAC for further investigation.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be able to configure that via the .xml, take a look at the parameter reference guide.

You also need 3389 which is the RDP port.

HTH

java

@Jaime Valencia I see were port screen share uses port 3389 in the documentation but I do not see this port being utilized when I share my screen. When I send the invitation to the other person they start a connection on a source random port 49152-65535 but the destination port is a random port below 49152. What am I missing?

Try the parameters to adjust the ports, if they're not being followed you might want to reach out to TAC for further investigation.

HTH

java

Thanks Jaime. I set the parameters and it appears to abide by these settings now. One thing that I did notice is that the minimum value for the range is 40.

Phil Bradley
Level 4
Level 4

In case anyone else runs across this, the documentation is a little misleading. It states that the IM share uses RDP and while it may be using RDP it is not over port 3389. The remote client creates a connection to a random port and then uses TLS to the jabber process to share the screen. It may be using RDP over TLS but not over port 3389. If you do not define the port range like Jaime mentioned above, then I observed the connection on random ports below 49152 which is also misleading in the documentation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: