Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Service Domain VS Voice Service Domain

prasanth_k
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am so confused with Service domain and Voice Service domain. I have gone thrugh a cisco document but I am still not clear when to use service domain and voice service domain. Can anyone explain this in detail ?

I have gone through the below link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/expressway-series/117811-configure-vcs-00.html

Below portion explains we must use Voice service domain when the internal presence servcer domain is  different from the External domain. So when we need to use the SERVICE DOMAIN ? Any ideas ?

Voice Services Domain

The user always logs in with userid@domain4, as there should be no difference in user experience when inside or outside. This means that if domain1 is different from domain4, you must configure the voice services domain in the Jabber client. This is because the domain portion of the login is used in order to discover the Collaboration Edge services using Service (SRV) record lookups.

The client performs a Domain Name System (DNS) SRV record query for _collab-edge._tls.<domain>. This implies that when the domain from the login user ID is different than the domain from the Expressway E, you must use the voice service domain configuration. Jabber uses this configuration in order to discover the Collaboration Edge and the UDS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alok Jaiswal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Prasanth,

So consider voice service domain as an "alternate domain". By default jabber always does service discovery on the domain through which you login, in case there is a requirement for service discovery to be done apart from the login domain you use "voice service domain".

This is very handy in a scneario such as collaboration edge (MRA). So consider that all the users logs in to Jabber when they are inside the enterprise network with domain "xyz.local", but when they try to login to Jabber while they are at home the domain "xyz.local" won't be available. But if the jabber-config.xml has voice service domain say as "xyz.com" then what happens is when the jabber service discovery fails with "xyz.local", it falls back to "xyz.com".  and runs the service discovery.

Voice service domain only kicks in when the service discovery fails with login domain. 

Service discovery will be something like this in internal/external scenario

Internal login

_cisco-uds._tcp.xyz.local --fails

_collab-edge._tcp.xyz.local --fails 

use voice service domain 

_cisco-uds._tcp.xyz.com -- pass. 

---------------------------------------

On collaboration edge (MRA)

Use voice service domain

_cisco-uds._tcp.xyz.com --fails

_collab-edge._tcp.xyz.com --pass

The drawback of using the voice service domain is users must login to jabber atleast once using the actual login domain so that jabber-config.xml file can be pushed and then this way Jabber knows about the "voice service domain". 

However i can't think of any use case to use voice service domain in a scenario when Jabber logins with in an enterprise network.

Regards,

Alok

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Alok Jaiswal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Prasanth,

So consider voice service domain as an "alternate domain". By default jabber always does service discovery on the domain through which you login, in case there is a requirement for service discovery to be done apart from the login domain you use "voice service domain".

This is very handy in a scneario such as collaboration edge (MRA). So consider that all the users logs in to Jabber when they are inside the enterprise network with domain "xyz.local", but when they try to login to Jabber while they are at home the domain "xyz.local" won't be available. But if the jabber-config.xml has voice service domain say as "xyz.com" then what happens is when the jabber service discovery fails with "xyz.local", it falls back to "xyz.com".  and runs the service discovery.

Voice service domain only kicks in when the service discovery fails with login domain. 

Service discovery will be something like this in internal/external scenario

Internal login

use voice service domain 

_cisco-uds._tcp.xyz.com -- pass. 

---------------------------------------

On collaboration edge (MRA)

Use voice service domain

_cisco-uds._tcp.xyz.com --fails

_collab-edge._tcp.xyz.com --pass

The drawback of using the voice service domain is users must login to jabber atleast once using the actual login domain so that jabber-config.xml file can be pushed and then this way Jabber knows about the "voice service domain". 

However i can't think of any use case to use voice service domain in a scenario when Jabber logins with in an enterprise network.

Regards,

Alok

HI Alok,

Thank you very much for explaining this. 

This was my understanding about voice service domain. But recently I opened a TAC case with cisco and Cisco engineer said that Voice service domain never be used for service discovery (_collab_edge...xxxx)and this will be based on the domain portion the user login with. Voice service domain will be used for when it try to register phone services. 

Secondly, when do we need to service domain ? 

Many Thanks

Hi Prasanth,

I have worked with Cisco Backbone TAC for 4.5 yrs and i can confirm this is how it always works :). May be the engineer you were working with didn't know about this.

Service domain for user login always gets first priority for service discovery. As far as jabber is able to get a response for SRV records for service domain, it won't use "voice service domain". If the DNS doesn't respond with service domain then voice service domain will be used by jabber to run the SRV records.

Regards,

Alok

Thank you very much Alok....

Just one more thing, Do you have a proper document which explain the technical stuff ?

Once again Thank you very mcuh fore the explanation.

Thank you very much Alok....

Just one more thing, Do you have a proper document which explain the technical stuff ?

Once again Thank you very mcuh fore the explanation.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: