Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber showing wrong caller ID

tcb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When I launch a call to my boss, it shows my co workers name. INTERMITENTLY... We checked to see that my boss didn't have my co workers number with my name stored as a contact. (he didn't, and with it being an intermittent issue, I didn't thing that was the issue)  We each have a DID, but we are both call center agents with a shared outbound mask number. I verified in END USER management and I did find one odd thing.. my co workers IPCC Extension was wrong, however it wasn't mine, it was someone else’s, so I changed his to match his proper extension. I reset the 3 phones involved and test calls have so far been good. I  support Cisco VOIP users so Im just curious if I come across this sort of issue again, aside from device associations , what other items can be checked? I think the reset did more than anything because even though my co workers extension was wrong, it wasn’t my extension so I doubt that was the cause. Any help is appreciated!

6 Replies 6

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jabber seems to want to base a lot of the name information on directory source information instead of the configured Alerting name field in the UCM.

I ran into this myself recently after I enabled the UDS LDAP Proxy Search. It doesn't seem to work very well and/or was confused about fields. Contact resolution failed intermittently or it would return users who had a name that started witih the same characters of a user's uid. No idea what was going on there, but rather than troubleshoot it I decided to turn that feature off. My suspicion was that some sort of throttling or rate limiting was breaking it otherwise.

Interesting..Ill keep doing some testing and see what else happens. I apprecaite teh quick response, Im brand new here and only posted a few minutes ago, so THANK YOU!!

SO we've done some further testing , Im still showing as George (my name is Tracie) .. is this UDS LDAP setting a global thing? We have a pretty big system and I dont thing I want to change something sytem wide when no one else is complaining. I show up corrcetly on his phone, buut not on his Jabber. Any other thoughts?

The problem report from the Jabber client will hopefully shed some light on what's happening but it is a bit cluttered.

To answer your question, the service profile set to the user will have the "Use UDS..." box checked if you're using that. If you're coming through Expressway then IIRC you have to use that.

The search option is 11+ and available in System -> LDAP.

That's the only time I had this problem myself. When using EDI/CDI with Active directory I had search failures resulting in the client making a 'dink' sound periodically but only had the contact mixup with UDS Search , as when you said intermittent.

If your directory source is wrong, like you have multiple records with the same listed phone number, then you will also get this behavior but that was consistent and repeatable in my experience.

I would go down those two avenues but TAC would certainly be able to help pulling apart a problem report to help you diagnose this.

is there a way i can set the Jabber client to search and present ONLY alerting name as a contact incoming identity ? right now if it has a match of an End User Display name, it shows that and not the configured alerting name.

Not that I am aware of, perhaps it will do so in phone only mode with no IM and contact source.

But it is otherwise a content/user centric application.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: