Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Softphone Status Not Connected

douglasfir
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've deployed CUCM 10.5.1.10000-7 along with IM&Presence 10.5.1.10000-9. Jabber clients for Windows show the following error:

Softphone

Protocol: SIP

Reason: Connection error. Ensure the server information in the Phone Services tab on the Options window is correct. Contact your system administrator for assistance.

I've configured CSF device for the user, checked Owner ID, associated DN with end user, allowed end user to control device and so on...sure, I've followed official documents, but no success...did anyone have similar problem?

Thank you!

Kind regards, Dragan

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have proper DNS resolution??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Yes, I've checked DNS and both CUCM and IM&Presence resolve properly.

Thanks anyway,

Regards, Dragan

Did we manage to resolve this issue?

I have exactly the same issue, CTI deskphone can be controlled but the softphone does not register.

I have disabled the windows firewall, and I am also able to download tftp files from the tftp server , all A records and reverse lookups are resolving correctly.

Hi Narinder, It turned out that there was a network problem. I'm not sure about exact details, as I didn't have insight into the network configuration (there was a Mikrotik router on the path), but I am pretty sure that it had something to do with MTU.

I would say, that the reason deskphone worked fine is that it was configured as SCCP, not SIP and I've noticed large packets during SIP registration. I also noticed that the system worked OK, when Jabber was in the same VLAN, therefore not passing through that Mikrotik router, so all of these make me suspect that MTU settings are the cause of the problem.

I'm not sure if this can also be applied in your situation, but I hope it might help somewhat.

Regards, Dragan

Yash Rohilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dragan,

Can you please let us know if the phone icon on the bottom left corner of the Jabber client is grayed out or do you have the ability to click on the icon and select use my computer for calls?

If it is grayed out, can you please check and see if the user has been assigned to a CCMCIP profile on the IM and Presence server? If no CCMCIP profile has been created, can you please go ahead and create one and assign the user in the profile.

If it is not grayed out, can you please try and log in to Phone-only mode on Jabber by going into Advanced Settings (before logon) and selecting Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.x entering the IP of the Call Manager in all three fields and logging in. Does the CSF device register in phone only mode. 

Also what is the Jabber version?

Thanks,

Yash

Hi Yash,

I can click on the phone icon and choose from one of the options - softphone, deskphone and forward. You can see it in the attachment (jabber_deskmode.jpg and jabber_deskmode_2.jpg). However when I choose Softphone mode, the problem still exists (screenshots attached also).

I've checked CCMCIP profile too, although the icon is not grayed out.

CSF is also able to log in in Phone-only mode, but it doesn't show up as registered in CUCM...

Do you have some other assumption maybe, based on this information?

Thank you so much,

Dragan

Hi Dragan,

Are there any firewalls between you and the Communications Manager? If there are, can you please check and see if SIP inspection is enabled on the FW? 

If not, can you try and see if you are able to telnet to port 5060 to the CM from the client?

Thanks,

Yash

poojasingh.dxb1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

Go to "User Management>End User>" search and select your client Then  in "Permissions Information" box click on "add to access control group" then search and select "Standard CTI Allow Control of Phones supporting Connected Xfer and conf" .