cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber - username unchangeable on first install v11.5 for Windows

j.sillers
Level 5
Level 5

I am posting this again because it is becoming chronic as people get new laptops and install new versions of Jabber 11.5 

There was only 1 responder on my previous post and that did not get us anywhere.  His answer was to run the install with the switch to NOT search for WebEx service.  When I pointed out that we need to search for WebEx Messenger but that our usernames for Messenger and for WebEx Meetings are distinct, the thread died.

Is there anyone who can tell me how to install Jabber for Windows 11.5 so that the user is not LOCKED OUT of changing the username on a fresh install?

We just installed Jabber 11.5 on a couple of new corporate machines (Win7 using Skype as Corp IM)

We have a Jabber pilot running using WebEx Messenger so we don't have SSO or AD integration.

After a clean install of Jabber with no switches and no custom URL (we just downloaded CiscoJabberSetup.msi for v11.5 and ran it from the download folder on the machine) the screen for the login comes up but the username is already populated AND it is GRAYED OUT so we can't change it.  The format is our corporate email address.  We also have no option to "Reset Jabber" from the file menu. That is grayed out as well.

We then took another machine and installed it from the command line with this for options:

"msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi CLEAR=1 CLICK2X=DISABLE"

Same issue.

So where is Jabber pulling these usersnames and why can't we change it?  Why is "Reset jabber" Grayed out too?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I have a feeling this is because UPN_Discovery is automatically enabled (for the autousername population). Can you try installing Jabber with UPN_Discovery disabled?

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false CLICK2X=DISABLE

To run as administrator, Open windows command prompt in Admin mode (right click on start menu on windows 8) and navigate (>cd ) to that CiscoJabberSetup.msi location for jabber installer and copy/paste that command.

Reset being greyed out is a bit odd indeed.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the reply - i'm going to do some deeper testing tomorrow.  But at first glance it did not work.

My concern is i have 180 people to upgrade - even if this only affects 10% it's going to be hell for the helpdesk.  

I'll report back once I've concluded the investigation on my end.

M

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've never seen any scenario on which the Reset Cisco Jabber would be grayed out, what's the platform?? Are you running it as admin??

Is this a regular kind of Windows distribution?? or is this a special distribution for this particular company which they have "tweaked" in some way??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jamie

process - users are Cisco centric engineers and pre-sales engineers at our company.  They eitherdownload 11.5 directly from CCO and run it from the command shell (as i noted in the post) or they get it from me if they don't have a valid contract to download it from CCO.

I'm no Windows command line expert but I can try to re-run it forcing the "Run As Administrator" if you know how to do that.  At the moment we are all Admin's on our laptops but I'm sure there are Windows policies that still restrict some things so you need to "Run As Administraor" with a right click.  But we can't do that because we need to execute the "CLICK2X=DISABLE" otherwise it breaks our Lync/Skype integrations with Outlook.

I have a feeling this is because UPN_Discovery is automatically enabled (for the autousername population). Can you try installing Jabber with UPN_Discovery disabled?

To run as administrator, Open windows command prompt in Admin mode (right click on start menu on windows 8) and navigate (>cd ) to that CiscoJabberSetup.msi location for jabber installer and copy/paste that command.

Reset being greyed out is a bit odd indeed.

In the end the "CLEAR=1" had to be issued.

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi CLEAR=1 UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false CLICK2X=DISABLE

It was explained that the Clear 1 dumps all the file structures but it must also do something else because manually dumping them from "Local" and "Roaming" user folders did not have the same affect as running the CLEAR=1 in the install.

my question is still, why do they "lock the field" at all?  it seems counter-productive.to inhibit the ability to make changes.

anyway, thanks for the reply.  I've given that updated install string to my service desk to test with.  i'll update once I get a few more attempts.

matt

Hello,

This line helps when you cannot reset jabber to enter account which is different then your domain's one:

(PC is in domain and each time after jabber reset it finds services and pulls user name).

CUCM 10.5, jabber 11.7

WIndows 7, 8, 10

Standard deployment

Webex Messenger

Scenario is AD UPN is different than the WebEx messenger userID.  The client digs into AD for the UPN by default, then locks it in.

Fresh installs or rolling right up over an older version.  Makes no difference.

WebEx and TAC had no answers, asked for log-after-log.

Issue started for us at 11.1 when the Jabber client underwent a major overhaul.

Matthew,

The first time I did the install with the UPN Disabled, it also seemed to not work.  Did you go to the gear and see if Reset Jabber was also grayed out?  Next to that was the "Cancel" option.  When I clicked Cancel, that is when I was given the option to reset on the main screen.

Also, Try re-running the install on top of an existing instance.  That shoulds make the windows package ask you if you want to

"Modify"

"Remove"

"Repair"

Choose Modify and re-run the install.  At that point it could present you a brand new login screen.

Thanks for the reply - i'm going to do some deeper testing tomorrow.  But at first glance it did not work.

My concern is i have 180 people to upgrade - even if this only affects 10% it's going to be hell for the helpdesk.  

I'll report back once I've concluded the investigation on my end.

M

I still have no answer for this:  it's hit-or-miss, but of the 20 users we've tested with about 75% have failed and were unable to upgrade. 

if there were a way to bulk update the WebEx connect user database that would be nice, as i would just bulk-sync with the AD UPN. But that's not an option.

This really needs to get fixed. 

j.sillers
Level 5
Level 5

Great - that worked, sort of. It was funky.  I uninstalled Jabber then re-installed it as you described.  (I am on Windows 7 still).

When Jabber came back up, it still had the grayed out username.  So I went to see if Reset Jabber was grayed out. It was.  But the same menu has a "Cancel" option right above Reset and without thinking, I clicked it.  At that point Jabber blanked out and then came back with the all Blue screen and just the username in the middle with the grayed out username already filled in.  No Password field.  Below the username field was the "Reset Cisco Jabber" link. SO I clicked that and got it to reset.

At this point, I thought I would record all that.  So I uninstalled it again and launched a WebEx. 

This time though, when I ran the command line as before, Jabber installed a bit differently.  This time the windows package asked if I wanted to Modify Uninstall or Repair.  I chose Modify and Jabber installed clean.  It went right to an empty username prompt.  From there I entered my creds and bada bing bada boom, I was in.

I will be posting that video to our internal Jive group and we will see if it helps anyone else.  Thanks for the assistance.

Matthew Miktus
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've had multiple cases open with Webex and had this escalated to engineering.

I've been told it has to do with IE compatability view settings.

I've been told it's not a repeatable in their lab, so there is no issue.

i've tried your suggested string  as well as some others like this:

Nothing has worked.

I've even created a jabber-config.xml that is pushed down from webex messenger admin portal.

whomever coded this "feature" should be beaten...

I can't seem to I mark this wrong answer about UPN. So instead I also marker your answer which says your failure rate. 

I I opened a case with Webex two weeks ago. They still have nothing. I even sent them a recording of this occurring on a fresh install plus a Fiddler capture from the users desktop. 

HD0008901434 

They say say it is with top level support  

open a case with Webex instead of TAC  two different ticket systems  let's try to raise the visibility with another case in the same system   

"

I sent the case back to the Jabber team with better notes, and included this info confirming UPN being disabled on install. If they push back again about UPN, I will shoot it down immediately.

Best regards,
Gerald Hackett
ENGINEER.CUSTOMER SUPPORT
Senior Support Engineer
Email: ghackett@cisco.com
Phone: 1-916-636-9200
Office Hours: Mon - Thurs. 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM PT
Sunday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM PT"

If your issue is urgent or you need assistance outside of my office hours please contact Technical Support for immediate assistance at:
http://www.webex.com/support/phonenumbers.htm

Thanks Gerald.

Appreciate you continuing to keep an eye on this one.

I had a case open with WebEx already (with you actually) and one with TAC/Jabber.  I got tied up with other stuff so it went dark for a while. But the answer from escalation seemed to be a shrug and a "i dunno"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: