cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Video Windows 8 Pro tablet

irvinematt
Level 1
Level 1

I am evaluating a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (Windows 8 Pro).  I cannot get the client to use the front facing camera.  There are 2 selections in the Camera list, both are Intel Imaging Signal Processor 2300.  Selecting either does not change to the front camera.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Jabber video client version is 4.5

14 Replies 14

irvinematt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a bit more information.  The tablet's cameras are:

Integrated Camera OV2720    

Integrated Rear Camera OV8830       

If I disable the OV8830 in the device manager, the OV2720 is then used by Jabber.  If I re-enable the OV8830, Jabber will not switch to the OV2720. 

Hi Matt,

I am not sure if your query is related to Jabber for Windows or Movi client. Jabber for Windows is not supported on Windows tablet and there is no current committed plan for support.

Thanks,

Maqsood

This is in regards to Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence version 4.5.7.16762, formerly Movi.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the information. We had another customer hit this issue with a HP ElitePad 900 Windows 8 32 bit. They were running 4.6 Jabber Video. Once they disabled the OV8830 Sensor Jabber used the front camera. I will see about getting a bug opened and fixed in a future release.

Chad Johnson

Cisco TAC - TelePresence

This problem is related to Intel new video capture architecture introduced with Atom Z2760. It has nothing to do with CPU speed/frequency. Z2760  video processing is supported by a separate module being a part of SoC - this is what Intel Imaging Signal Processor (ISP) 2300 is. The problem described here is not limited to Jabber Video and is not a "bug". Rather, Jabber Video implementation predates Z2760.

Please note that Z2760 tablets show in device manager  ISP 2300 as an imaging device. On all other systems this is the entry where cameras are listed. The two OV camera sensors are listed as system devices. This suggests that Intel added extra layer of software to their drivers. Existing applications react in various ways: Jabber Video shows imaging signal processor twice, but DirectShow applications and tools ignore it and only show OV sensors. This is of little help since OV sensor drivers have almost all camera and stream controls locked. I suspect ISP layer does it. In addition, OV capture filters have two output pins: Preview and Capture with different settings. DirectShow can handle two pins but "legacy" applications rarely do since such a selection has not been anticipated.

In other words, Z2760 CPU introduces new video capture architecture where the webcams are not what they used to be. The architecture is utterly undocumented. I reversed-engineered parts of it from the DirectShow side. Since jabber Video shows ISP as a camera, it is most likely not DirectShow based. I suspect however that the correct way of accessing the cameras is via ISP, not via OV devices since only ISP is able to change stream  parameters such as frame size and rate and camera parameters such as exposure and zoom. OV drivers either can't do that or are denied control by the ISP layer.

The Metro video app works fine and so does Skype, so it looks like Intel provided Microsoft with ISP programing model. Perhaps CISCO can get it, too. As for myself, I'm trying to use my private channels at Intel to get this info.

Was there any resolution to this?  Do the new versions of Jabber support the ISP SOC or is there a driver/application that could wrap these devices and make them appear like a standard web camera to Jabber?

adibenedetto18
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have the same tablet with the same issue, disabling the OV8830 sensor does the trick. Also all video calls made with the tablet using Jabber Video have greenish hue.

Yes, looking into the issue further. We don't officially support these tablets due to not supporting Atom based processors. Our processor requirements state that it needs to be a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent. These tablets only have 1.8 Ghz processors. At this point Cisco doesn't plan to support the Atom processors in the future.

Chad

Hi, could you check it again.

The requirement that you have mentioned is for HD quality.

For VGA is enough with Intel Atom - 1.6 GHz.

I not sure if this requirement is the right point that affect the camera control.

I´m using Samsung Ativ, Atom 1.8GHz and Windows 8, with the same problem.

Disabling the OV8830 sensor, frontal camera is selected but work very bad, with so dark image.

Jabber Datasheet, for PC requirement say:

• CPU depending on video resolutions to send and receive:

• A processor supporting SSE3 (such as Pentium 4 Prescott) or better is recommended. For business-quality HD video, Cisco recommends using the Cisco TelePresence PrecisionHD USB Camera and a 2-GHz Core 2 Duo processor or better.

• Encoding VGA 30 fps can be done on as low-end CPUs as the Intel Atom @ 1.6 GHz

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for your response. I did check again and I am seeing an inconsistancy. What you found is in the datasheet where as what I was looking at was the PC requirements in the latest administration guide - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/Jabber_Video/4_6/CJAB_BK_C89F6C9E_00_cisco-jabber-video-for-telepresence_chapter_01.html#CJAB_RF_P9630406_00

I am working on clearing up this confusion however it stands that we will not support the Atom based processors.

Thank You,

Chad

Has Cisco changed their minds yet on this issue?  These processors are becoming more popular and businesses need an alternative to iPads.

Hi,I have met the same problem,using the tablets,

https://communities.cisco.com/message/195952#195952

dmcoeus
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a Lenovo Helix w/ Intel i5 and have experienced a similar problem.  I've tested on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 with the same results.  Both Cisco Jabber clients crash when the video starts.  Other products like Skype/Google Hangout seem to work fine.

Disabling the rear camera did not solve the problem.  I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

-Rod

anmolblouch92
Level 1
Level 1

To troubleshoot, ensure that the Jabber video client version (4.5) is compatible with the tablet's camera settings. You might also want to check the camera permissions within Windows 8 Pro settings and consider updating the client if necessary. If the problem persists, reaching out to Lenovo support or the Jabber video client's support team could provide further assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: