Views
Helpful
Replies

Join meeting from generic SIP device

Elysweyr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've tried to join a meeting which I've planned in a certain space on my free tier WebEx team.

The SIP URI showed up on this screen:

space_sip.png

In order to join this meeting I've used MicroSIP as ultra-leightweight SIP softphone (with a configured SIP account of an external service provider which means: no CUCM). The problem in that case that I don't receive any A or SRV records if I query this subdomain and that's why my softphone cannot connect the destination SIP host.

Is it even possible to use generic SIP devices in a non-CUCM environment and what should I try next if it is possible in theory?

Best regards

Elysweyr

4 Replies 4

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
This might be better in the webex or telepresence forum, but I'll leave it for now, because I'm not 100% sure of that.

Anyway, there's a lot of stuff that goes into making calls work, but in your case, with a direct SIP registered phone to an internet provider, it might just be that they don't support internet based SIP URI dialing. Ask them, or check their website.

As far as DNS records go, you are calling <id>@meetup.cisco.com correct? Therefore, it's the meetup.cisco.com DNS records which need to be present, not your own.

Which they do:

_sips._tcp.meetup.webex.com SRV service location:
priority = 5
weight = 10
port = 5061
svr hostname = l2sip-cfa-01.wbx2.com
_sips._tcp.meetup.webex.com SRV service location:
priority = 5
weight = 10
port = 5061
svr hostname = l2sip-cfa-02.wbx2.com

Hi Anthony,

thanks for your reply.

I asked my SIP provider and they said that they don't support SIP URI dialing for other SIP hosts since 2013 which means that I need to get my Asterisk server up and running now until I can test this setup so you'll get an update in a little while.

Best regards

Elysweyr

I haven't forgot this post here.

I'm just having troubles switching the transport protocol to TLS on my asterisk pbx (asterisk <-> external SIP is using UDP; local extension <-> asterisk is fine). 
Generally I'm working on this for some days now and have no clue whether I'll manage this or not.

Let's see how this ends.

Do you have an idea how I can set up a trunk to meetup.webex.com (authentication - user/password, ...)?

That's the only way how I can force this to TLS - do you have any clue about this topic?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: