cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost Jabber Notification Sounds

bjsusol01
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of rolling out Jabber to our IT Department. We pushed it out as an optional install for users initially, but then pushed it to everyone in the department automatically.

For the most part, all is working properly, but for a handful of users, they have no sound notifications when they get messages. For these users, they had installed Jabber thru the optional install, but when Jabber was pushed out to everyone, it looks like our required package didn't ignore them and that's where the issues started. They did have all sound notifications prior to the second install.

I will preface this by saying we have not tried reinstalling yet. It also didn't affect everyone who had installed via the optional method first - just a couple users.

I checked all the settings in Jabber and they appeared correct.

I checked windows sound settings and I didn't see anything that appeared off.

I renamed the jabberlocalconfig.xml under appdata/roaming. It regenerated, but did not fix the issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be wrong?

7 Replies 7

Ankoor Bek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please check the Jabber>>Settings>Options>>Sounds and Alerts tab and share a screenshot.

This should be the ideal configuration for alerts.

I think they had one additional option that was checked off, but I absolutely know the options you have are checked.

I have some time with one of the users again shortly. I will confirm again.

Hi,

i'm having the same issue.

have verified the options settings.

all is checked, but there is no alert sound as well.

anything more that i can do to Troubleshoot?

So we made some progress.  We cleared the jabber cache (see below) and we now have a light tone that plays when messages come in.  It just seems like it is VERY light though compared to system volume. This is happening with all machines - laptops and desktops.

Is this normal?  Or should we be able to have a louder tone?  Even with Jabber volume settings maxed, and system at around 60%, its pretty light.. Its noticeable, but light.

To clear the cache in Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.7 and Newer:

1. Close and exit out of Jabber (if still running).

2. Browse to the Jabber cache folder. This data is found in the following directories:

• Win 8, 8.1:

• %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber

• %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber

• %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History\%Username%

• %appdata%\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config\service-location.xml

• Win 7:

• %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber

• %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber

• %appdata%\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config\service-location.xml

3. Delete all the data found in the above directories.

• < >: Discovery cache never expires any new SRV records deployed will not be picked up by the client cache can be manually cleared by deleting the directories above.

Windows XP and Vista are not supported in Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.7 and later releases.

• Reboot the computer after performing these steps.

We just rolled this out to our organization as well and the sound is so low it's actually not usable for notifications.  Sadly this application has NO options to pick a different sound or adjust volume. Not at all happy and will suggest to IT that we revert to previous IM application.

Jeff Anuzelli
Level 1
Level 1

Did anyone every get this fixed?  I know this is an old question but I do not see an answer and I have not seen this asked anywhere else.

I am having the same problem and nothing I have tried fixes this issue.  Other Jabber sounds work fine but I never get the alert for a new message..

So I figured out a hacky way to fix jabber sound for incoming messages on Mac but I'm sure a similar approach could probably be taken on Windows as well.
Uninstall jabber and download version 11.7.0:
Go into Applications and on Jabber right click and select “Show Package Contents”
Right click Contents folder -> Show info. Change the permissions to Read & Write.
In contents folder also change permissions for Info.plist
Jabber will normally try to force upgrade you to 11.8 so in Info.plist change Bundle Verison to 11.8.0.249632.
Voila. The very basic functionality of getting notified when you have a message is restored. Even AOL IM had this working back in like 1999. Come on Cisco/Jabber. 
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: