cancel
Announcements
Walkthrough Wednesdays
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Meetingplace 8.xand WebEx Node for MCS - Resilience options?

Hi All,

I have a couple of queries around CUMP 8.x and WebEx Node for MCS.

We are in the middle of deploying both of these devices to work with our existing estate - CUCM 8.0, CUC 8.0, UCCX 8.0 and CUEAC 8.0.

Our existing estate is deployed across two data centres which are seperated across different layer3 domains. This has been fine for all of the products above however the CUMP literature seems to imply that HA is only available when the NIC's reside in the same layer3 domain.

So the questions:

1. Are we misreading the documentation and is there actually an official Cisco method of deploying these products in HA across our DC's?

2. Has anyone found another way of getting this working?

Finally does anyone have any good advice or gotchas we should be looking out for when deploying these packages? We are currently in two minds about whether to go with 8.0 or 8.5, especially since I have gleaned from these forums that WebEx node for MCS might not actually be supported in 8.5 any more?!

Cheers,

Message was edited on June 5, 2013: Kelli Glass, Cisco Collaboration Community moderator, added community categories and tags for greater ease in filtering posts (no change to content).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor

Hi there. 

If you go with MP 8.5 with WebEx scheduling you can deploy the MP Application Server and the WebEx node in separate locations in an Active Active deployment.  The MP 8.5 deployment allows you to have both (or more) Application Servers active and to assign users to either one to help load balance conference calls.   The WebEx Node is supported in MP 8.5 but it is no longer required as it is in MP 8.0. The only reason to use the WebEx Node is if you require internal only web meetings.  If this is not a requirement then it is simpler to deploy WebEx in the cloud with multiple MP Application Server at the two data centers. 

Let me now if you have any questions.

John

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Contributor

Hi there. 

If you go with MP 8.5 with WebEx scheduling you can deploy the MP Application Server and the WebEx node in separate locations in an Active Active deployment.  The MP 8.5 deployment allows you to have both (or more) Application Servers active and to assign users to either one to help load balance conference calls.   The WebEx Node is supported in MP 8.5 but it is no longer required as it is in MP 8.0. The only reason to use the WebEx Node is if you require internal only web meetings.  If this is not a requirement then it is simpler to deploy WebEx in the cloud with multiple MP Application Server at the two data centers. 

Let me now if you have any questions.

John

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi John

Many thanks for the swift reply!

The main thing is we have just bought a load of webex licences : 225 internal and 75 external.

The plan was to have mixed meetings, some internal only and some internal/external.  All of these would use meetingplace for audio.

Is mp8.5 officially released now? We have been really struggling to get hold of the media. In addition will 8.5 install on the same servers as 8.5? We are using mcs 7845s

If you have any documentation around the active active deployment that would be really useful!

Thanks again1

Highlighted

Since you have the licenses then I agree with deploying MP 8.5 with the WebEx Node.  MP 8.5 is released but all orders go on New Product Hold and should be released from NPH quickly.   If you have issues with getting the media contact Raj (https://communities.cisco.com/people/rkandlik) with the sales order number and he can help get it expedited.

MP 8.5 runs on the MCS 7845 I3 RC2 servers which what I assume you have though it also works with the MCS 7845 I2 RC2.

Take a look here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/ps5664/ps5669/tsd_products_support_series_home.html at both the design and install guides for a better understanding of the ActiveActive deployment.  They are easy to deploy in this manner. 

If you have any questions let me know.

John

Highlighted

Thanks John, really useful.

To be honest, strictly speaking our servers aren't supported even in cump 8.0, I think when we bought them they were spec 'd for cump 7. Anyway we have installed with no problems on

MCS-7845-H2-CCE3

Which is

DL380-G5 Server 2x Xeon E5345 2.33GHz Quad-Core Processor 4G RAM 4x 146GB Hard Drives

Except we have upped the memory to 8gb memory instead of the base 4gb.

Do we think the hardware checks in 8.5 are the same as 8.0?

I will review the design docs now.

Many thanks again.

Highlighted

I think the hardware check in MP 8.5 is different.  The only issue might be the memory but I am not sue on that.

Good luck.

John

Highlighted

Hi John

Sorry to pester you again :$

Just reading the deployment options and there doesn't seem to be one that ideally suits.

The options are

One Region with Two Nodes

One Region with Two Nodes with WebEx Node for ASR

One Region with Three Nodes

Two Regions with Two Nodes Each

Two Regions with Three Nodes Each

Large-Scale System with Multiple Regions

The closest is

Two Regions with Two Nodes Each

Use this configuration if your system islocated in two time zones or different regions. You install two Cisco Unified MeetingPlace nodes each located in its own site and region. The first node in your system is automatically configured as the root leaf node and Primary Meeting Director. The second node in your system is automatically configured as the Secondary Meeting Director. If there is a failure in the Primary Meeting Director, failover to the Secondary Meeting Director occurs. Optionally configure your nodes as combined nodes, which provide Meeting Director and conferencing features, or as Meeting Director nodes which provide dedicated Meeting Director services. Configure each node as the regionalmaster of its region. If you configure your two regional masters as combined nodes, each node provides both Meeting Director and conferencing features. Configure a second node in each region as a conferencing node to provide more conferencing ports. You can optionally place each conferencing node inthe same site as the regional master or in its own site. If you place the Meeting Director and conferencing node in each region in separate sites, by default each site isconfigured to host overflow meetings for the other site. Therefore, if a node inone site exceeds its conference capacity an overflow condition occurs and the node inyour other site hoststhe overflow conferences. You can optionally configure each node to disallow overflow conferenc hosting by selecting Topology Management > Sites and changing the Allow overflow meetings from other sites setting to No.

-

Can we deploy using this method with only one node in each region?

Ideally we just want one node in each data centre in different subnets. I don't really care if they are active active or active passive

Thanks for your patience

Highlighted

No problem.  Yes you can deploy as two regions with one Node each.  Additional Nodes can be added for additional capacity. This will provide you with two active nodes at two separate sites that each connect to their own CUCM and will provide for automatically failover.  Both nodes will be active and supporting calls.  If one fails, calls will automatically be handled by the other system.

Hope this helps

John

Highlighted

Hopefully final question John

The srnd shows a solution for a single region with mcs node

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/confernc.html#wp1056585

Or a solution for dual wwithoutwithout mcs node

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/confernc.html#wp1124100

However there is no mention of dual region with mcs node.

Is this definitely possible?

Cheers,

Highlighted

Also the implication with dual region is you have two cucm clusters with an inter cluster trunk and we have one Custer spread across both data centres :$

Highlighted

Paul,

Yes you can have dual regions with the MCS Node.  Just install both Application servers prior to install the WebEx Nodes. 

If you only have one CUCM, the One Region with two Sites is a better alternative.  The process of how the system works is the same but it is all managed from a single CUCM.  Two Regions deployments are normally meant when there are two separate CUCMs.

Hope this helps.  The nice thing is you can easily change your MP Region configuration during the deployment.

John

Highlighted

Great stuff John

Just so I am clear, can you confirm this as an example please?

Region 1

Site 1

CUMP Server 1 on vlan 192.168.0.0/24

WebEx MCS Node Server 1 on vlan 192.168.0.0/24

CUCM Servers from CUCM cluster 1

Site 2

CUMP Server 2 on vlan 192.168.1.0/24

WebEx MCS Node Server 2 on vlan 192.168.1.0/24

CUCM Servers from CUCM cluster 1

Cheers,

Highlighted

Yes but the WebEx nodes will be associated with both Application Servers which will provide WebEx Node redundancy.  A WebEx Node will be located at each of your two different datacenters but will be configured with both Application Server Host Names.  The two CUMP will be configured so that they know about the other one and will communicate between themselves so they know which Application Server is hosting the call.  You install and configue the two Application Servers then install the two WebEx Nodes.

John

Highlighted

Many thanks.

I will report back with progress when we are done

Highlighted

Good luck ;-)

I will be on vacation next week with limited email access so email me if you have a question.

Content for Community-Ad