Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone Service "Server Address" field blank on Webex App on iPhone

mm322
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

MRA was successfully implemented for our customer.

Now it is time to transition from Jabber to Webex App.

This was completed either, however Webex App is showing some issue on the Phone Service on iPhones only.

No issues with Webex App phone services on Windows and Android, while on iPhones the phone service connection will fail.

Domain field is automatically filled with the proper value, but Server Address field is blank.

No issues with TCTs when using Jabber.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any tip?

Thanks

MM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Got this fixed by manually installing the internal root CA on the iphone.

Not comfortable if you have many iphones, but fortunately this is not our case.

Thanks

MM

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Its working well on my iphone..

Sign from jabber and try.. You can either use jabber or webex app.

Response Signature

Thanks Nithin for your response,

however that would not be accepted by our customer which would like to see Webex App working on iphone either.

I cannot find a response on why the the phone service "server address" doesn't get filled in (while the domain is discovered properly).

If you have any tip on troubleshooting this, please let me know, thank you!

Got this fixed by manually installing the internal root CA on the iphone.

Not comfortable if you have many iphones, but fortunately this is not our case.

Thanks

MM

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

@mm322 If you don’t want to deal with the headache of uploading the root certificate to each mobile device and PC, get your expressway E certificates signed by a public CA like Verisign, Digicert etc. 

Unlike Jabber, the Webex App does not throw a certificate warning so if your Expressway E certificate is signed by a CA that is not already in the trusted store of your PC or mobile phone, the Webex App phone service login fails. This is also the case with MRA supported Desk phones. 

Your Exp E certificate is most likely signed by an internal CA, and you fixed the issue by manually adding the internal root CA, to your iPhone. There are also very few Public CAs that some, PCs, Desk phones, and mobiles may not have them in their trust lists. 

Hi TechLvr, thanks for your contribution which I completely agree on.

It was not initially not too clear that the problem was on the private CA as the issue occurred only on iPhones (Windows and Android were ok) and as you mentioned no certificate warning is offered to the user.

In my case I am working on very few iPhones, nevertheless I am now considering Let's Encrypt.

Thank you

MM

You must use a Public CA certificate and not the private CA for Expressway.

I assume you where trying to register the iPhone through internal network and not through MRA.

Response Signature

Thanks again Nithin for your feedback.

I am working on a lab environment to demonstrate deployment and usage of Webex App.

As mentioned in the lines here above the problem occurred while attempting to connect to the phone services on Webex App for iPhone.

It worked well right away on other platforms (Webex App for Android, Webex App for Windows) but not for iPhone, which required the root CA to be installed locally on the device.

As mentioned already we will likely go ahead with testing Let's Encrypt.

Thanks

MM