Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor performance in Windows 8.1

rsulliman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently have switched to Windows 8, and have noticed that Jabber performance is extremely poor. In Windows 7 I had no issues. Everything appears to work fine until I start joining chat rooms. Some of the rooms I'm in see a large amount of activity, when I first join it starts syncing up the messages quickly at first, but as it goes it gets slower and slower. Once it is caught up, when I try to switch to other chat rooms or people, it freezes for 15 - 30 seconds and then switched to the chat tab I'm clicking on.

This is rather frustrating, I'm currently using 10.6.0 Build 1, any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jakub Stroinski
Level 4
Level 4

Try deploying 10.6.4. Should have fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

RAJAMANI Nallakaruppan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

How much is the RAM? Can you try increasing the priority for Jabber in the Task Manager?

Does this happen only with the chat rooms? Are they persistent chat rooms? Looks like a resource crunch issue

Regards

Rajamani

Hello,

The RAM usage is ~60 - 70MB, nothing too bad. I was monitoring it a bit and it looks like the constraint is the CPU. I'm running an i5 and it's consistently taking up 30 - 40% !! When it locks up it spikes to 100%.

These are persistent chat rooms, but is evident even when I'm not in the chat rooms. After a few hours of operation Jabber becomes utterly unusable.

I've also tried re-installing, it has had no effect.

Thanks,

rsulliman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Do we have any other suggestions on this one? I've upgraded to 10.6.1 and the problem persists...

Thanks

allan.adamson
Level 1
Level 1

Having the same problem with Windows 8.1. Jabber version 10.5.2 Build 45439.

Any chat conversation that has grown to more than 100 messages is dog slow. 10 seconds before anything happens.

It's become impossible to have a conversation with the people that I need to talk to the most.

Our entire company is switching over to Jabber today. I'm an early adopter. This is going to be a nightmare for us if it's not corrected asap.

Still having the same problem after upgrading to 10.6.2 build 59142. Windows 8.1, i7, 16GB RAM, HD is SSD. It's a very fast, well maintained, pc. When a chat conversation grows to at least a hundred messages, it gets horrifically slow. The only solution is to reset Jabber, over and over again. I used to rely on the chat history for some important info. Now I have to delete it regularly. The best use I have of Jabber at the moment is to ask the person on the other end if they can use skype.

10.6.4 has fixed the slowness.

Jakub Stroinski
Level 4
Level 4

Try deploying 10.6.4. Should have fixed the issue.

Yup, this did correct it. Thanks!

Rejohn Cuares
Level 4
Level 4

Version 10.6(4) fixed the lag issue. I'm already using this version and very happy with its performance.

Referencing the release notes of version 10.6(4) for your reference.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/10_6/rn/JABW_BK_C6A8A6C3_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-10_6-release-notes.html#CJAB_RF_R74F91C8_00

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

allan.adamson
Level 1
Level 1

Still using 10.6.4, and it's still fast.

Problem is, the chat history is gone.

I rely on chat histories to get important information from past technical discussions.

Please confirm that the solution implemented in 10.6.4 was to delete data. If that is the case, then the fix breaks more than it solves, at least for me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: