Views
Helpful
Replies

Red x in Jabber for Windows on IM Only User

ryan_oconnell
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all

In a UCM 10.5 with IM&P 10.5 with Jabber 4 Windows 10.5 environment. We have some users that are full Jabber UC users and lots that just use the client for IM only. I have setup a UC Service Profile in CUCM that enables the IM only users to connect to IM&P servers and Directory Service Servers.

How come the users that are IM only still have a red x showing in the lower left corner of Jabber. How do I get rid of this for users that are IM only?

I also tried removing these IM only users from the CCMCIP service on the IM&P service and that didn't help either

9 Replies 9

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ryan,

There are a few settings related to IM only jabber client that you can check as per the following post

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12115136/im-only-user

HTH

Manish

Hi Manish,

This post you referenced is actually one of my old posts. This used to work but doesn't seem to work anymore in version 10.5

Ryan

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco TAC had confirmed it can't be removed.  Hope you have better luck.  Seems like a easy thing to fix/remove if not doing CTI/Deskphone.

HI Jason,

Do you know if this is new in version 10.5. Because in earlier versions all one had to do is remove the users from the CCMCIP group. But I tested this in 10.5 and it no longer works. Many users complain when they see a red x. Purely cosmetic but still we should be able to suppress it.

Ryan

MICHAEL CARTER
Level 1
Level 1

This is the solution to the issue:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber_chapter_01001.html#CJAB_RF_CCECB51E_00

Telephony_Enabled

true

false

Enables audio and video capabilities and user interface in the client. 

true (default)

Enables audio and video capabilities and user interface.

false

Disables audio and video capabilities and user interface.

If you are upgrading to this release, and your client is enabled for IM-only mode, then you must set this parameter to false. If you do not set this parameter in IM-only mode deployments, then users may see disabled telephony capabilities on their user interface.

Voicemail_Enabled

true

false

Enables voicemail capabilities and user interface in the client.

true (default)

Enables voicemail capabilities and user interface.

false

Disables voicemail capabilities and user interface.

Hi Mike

In environments where IM-only users are mixed in with full UC users is it possible to disable voicemail and telephony just for the IM-only users. From what i can see this policy is applied in the Jabber-config.xml file which is global. 

Thanks for your feedback

Yes, the Jabber documentation that explains how to create the .xml also explains how to create group configuration files.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jamie, 

I reviewed the group configuration File approach you mentioned but it appears as though the group configuration file can only be applied to CSF's, TAB, and TCT. So would the idea be that the global jabber-config file disables phone mode with voicemail and the group config file which in turn enables phone mode and voicemail gets applied to these CSF, TAB,  and TCT's. 

Will this affect how users that don't use softphones period. Example people with a physical phone + Jabber won't be able to control their phone or check voicemail from their jabber client. If you give each user that is only a phone user a CSF then it changes their licensing model from Enhanced to Enhanced Plus.

The other method i found in the guides is including an alternate TFTP server through the install switch. On this TFTP server we can have a separate jabber-config file. This is less than ideal and I haven't tested that theory either.

I appreciate any further feedback you may have on this subject

Thanks 

That's pretty much it, depending on how many full UC Vs. IM only users you have, it might be easier to disable in the global config file, or in the group file.

Yes, an alternative is to use the TFTP, the caveat is, that if there's a problem with it, and they look at the other TFTP, they'll find a different file.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: