Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing Privacy Options from Jabber Windows Clients

andre.lino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to remove the Privacy Options menu that apears in the Jabber for Windows client application??

I know that with the jabber-config.xml is possible to alter some client aspects but I don't find a way to remove this option.

I don't want that the users are able to block anyone. I want their presence status availabe to everyone in the company, but some of them block others purposely.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The file is jabber-plugin-config.xml located here

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber

You just need to comment out the privacy plugin

<--!

Plugins\PrivacyTab\PrivacyTab.xml

-->

Once you restart the client the privacy plugin will be gone. But as I said this is unsupported configuration and might cause issues. Feel free to test this in the lab though

On another note , the privacy settings can still be configured from the enduser gui in IM&P so I don't know the impact of that either.

HTH,

Christos

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Andre,

There is a way, but I have to point out that it is not supported. I am not sure what the repercussions are and you will render your jabber clients unsupported.

I did it in my lab and I managed to get the privacy option removed but I really don't know if you might run into other issues.

Plus, even if therer are no issues, this involves modifying an xml file (not the jabber-config.xml) and of course this has to be changed manually on every client.

You might want to work with your cisco sales team to file a PER so that this can be done cleanly

HTH,

Christos

Hi Christos,

Thanks for your answer!

Can you point me the way of doing it, even knowing that its not supported?

I will try it on my lab first.

Thanks

The file is jabber-plugin-config.xml located here

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber

You just need to comment out the privacy plugin

<--!

Plugins\PrivacyTab\PrivacyTab.xml

-->

Once you restart the client the privacy plugin will be gone. But as I said this is unsupported configuration and might cause issues. Feel free to test this in the lab though

On another note , the privacy settings can still be configured from the enduser gui in IM&P so I don't know the impact of that either.

HTH,

Christos

Thanks Christos!

I will try it out as soon as possible and let you know!

Thanks

Hi Christos,

I've done the test and it works fine. And it doesn't seem to cause any other issue. The Cup User page still works correctly.

Thank you very much for your help.

gmcmanus93
Level 5
Level 5

Where do you comment this out at? Are you talking about within the .xml itself?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: