Views
Helpful
Replies

Room Owner Change

jefbarne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Team,

We have a team member that will be moving off the team - there have been a couple rooms he was the owner of - 2 questions:

1) Can we change the room owner?

2) If he was to leave any of these rooms, what would happen to that room?

Just trying to understand if we will need to recreate the rooms/content again.

Thanks,

Jeff Barnes

Customer Solutions Architect

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan George
Level 4
Level 4

Spark doesn't have the concept of a Room owner - just because someone initially created the room it doesn't make them the owner. So in an un-moderated room people anyone can add anyone else to the room, anyone can leave or indeed remove someone else. Your team member that is moving on can just leave the room or you could remove them and everything else would remain.

Room moderation is a paid Spark feature - once someone locks the room they become the moderator - that means only they can add other people to the room, or remove other people or change the room title. The room moderator can make other people moderators for the room and they are able to delete other peoples' posted content.

1-2-1 rooms behave differently in that they will only ever be 1-2-1, i.e. you can't add anyone else to a 1-2-1 room - but either party can leave the room at any time, which removes the room from their room list (rather than it actually deleting the room).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Tim Cappel
Level 5
Level 5

Hey Jeff,

The current owner should be able to unlock the room and then leave someone else would be able to become owner.  And if the owner left it would just unlock the room to anyone to become owner in that persons place.  Does that help?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Room is currently unlocked - would that individual have to leave the room for someone to take ownership? I see no options for ownership anywhere within the app.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

The Owner is someone who locked the room or is a moderator named by the owner.  Are you saying the person created the room?  If so, that person can leave and everything will stay as it is.  I like to think of it as Lord of the Flies.... first one who locks the room becomes the owner   Hope this helps.

Jonathan George
Level 4
Level 4

Spark doesn't have the concept of a Room owner - just because someone initially created the room it doesn't make them the owner. So in an un-moderated room people anyone can add anyone else to the room, anyone can leave or indeed remove someone else. Your team member that is moving on can just leave the room or you could remove them and everything else would remain.

Room moderation is a paid Spark feature - once someone locks the room they become the moderator - that means only they can add other people to the room, or remove other people or change the room title. The room moderator can make other people moderators for the room and they are able to delete other peoples' posted content.

1-2-1 rooms behave differently in that they will only ever be 1-2-1, i.e. you can't add anyone else to a 1-2-1 room - but either party can leave the room at any time, which removes the room from their room list (rather than it actually deleting the room).

devkathuria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Spark does not have the has the concept owner, instead it has a concept of moderator. By default, the creator of the room does not become the moderator.  He or she has to lock the room to become the moderator. Since in your case the room is unlocked, anybody including the creator leaving the room will not have any issues.

Thanks all!   I should be set now!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: