cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RTMT JsmSessionMessagesIn and JsmMessagesIn

craig.levieux
Level 5
Level 5

I need to measure usage of Jabber for adoption purposes in a customer. The customer is not willing to allow Jabber telemetry data to be sent directly to Cisco. The IM archive/compliance database will only be implemented in a few months time and I need metrics in the interim.

A good start would be determining the number of IMs that each user sends daily or weekly. I think I can use data available in RTMT for this purpose. To date the best representation I can find seems to be ‘JsmSessionMessagesIn’. These are available on a per user basis using:

‘show perf query counter "Cisco XCP JSM Session Counters” JsmSessionMessagesIn’

But what exactly does the output of the above command represent?

• Firstly when executing the above command some users only have one counter (invariably described as ‘composed’). Does this represent the number of messages since login? 
  • Secondly some users have additional counters (invariably described as jabber_nnnn, where nnnn is a number). Does this represent the number of messages in a specific session? 
  • Can one assume that the jabber_nnnn count gets added to the composed count once the session is terminated, and that the composed count gets reset to zero when the user logs off?

Then, what exactly does ‘JsmSessionMessagesIn’ represent? The documentation warns that "The amount of IM packets that are sent to IM and Presence Service per IM can vary depending on the client in use” and gives an example of where three packets are sent for one IM (composed, IM itself and paused). That’s probably OK for my purposes, but what would confuse the issue is if hundreds of packets were sent if the user attached a 20mb picture (for instance).

However, under the heading "XCP JSM performance counters” in the 11.5 RTMT Admin Guide (for instance) I see that a counter called “JsmMessagesIn” represents "the number of message stanzas received by the JSM component”. What is the difference between a message packet (JsmSessionMessagesIn) and a message stanza (JsmMessagesIn)? Would message stanzas be more suitable for my needs? If so, are they available on a per user basis?

I would be very grateful to anyone who can offer any insights.

0 Replies 0