cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stoping flashing WebEx taskbar icon on Windows?

tomr000011
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to prevent WebEx from making its windows taskbar icon start flashing an alert every time the presenter changes slides?

I hope this isn't news to Cicso, but many people perform other tasks while watching a presentation in the background.  It's very disruptive to have the taskbar constantly pop up and start flashing for attention.  For example, in the course of typing this question, I've had to stop and dismiss a webex alert four times. Please, please, please, if this feature isn't currently in webex, consider adding it soon.

Make that five times. Ok, sixth time while I was fixing a spelling error.

Thanks.

22 Replies 22

laurameowcole
Level 1
Level 1

I have a semi-solution (which applies to all applications, not just WebEx) that limits the number of times a taskbar icon will flash --albeit, the WebEx application seems to flash anew every time someone joins/leaves, the presenter clicks on something, or WebEx senses my annoyance level returning to baseline -- but it involves editing the Registry so do this at your own risk.

Microsoft's instructions (full path below)

In regedit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

change ForegroundFlashCount (which defines number of times icon flashes) to a fewer number than 7

Note: I've seen mixed information about the values 0 and 7; 7 is the default Win10 value but some sources say 7 makes the flashing "infinite", 0 makes it "infinite", or 0 turns flashing off entirely. I've set mine to 1 but feel free to experiment (don't forget to restart explorer.exe to see regedit changes go into effect).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-start/how-to-stop-icons-from-flashing-on-the-taskbar/6c7c443b-3610-4ea2-a646-eea85ada007c?auth=1

ATTN Cisco: I should not have to hack my registry to maintain a healthy stress level. Please consider this issue a high priority and either remove flashing or enable the user to choose which triggers will cause the application to flash.

goldchain
Level 1
Level 1

I've used WebEx forever, and I can't tell you how much I love it compared to other conferencing solutions.  However, the fact it tries to steal attention and flashes the taskbar anytime there's a change in slide, or speaker in WebEx is VERY tiresome and completely unnecessary.  It provides ZERO value to have the taskbar icon flash.  I auto-hide my taskbar, and WebEx constantly keeps my taskbar unhidden, which then covers other apps dialog boxes (Try typing a message in full-screen WebEx Teams (where your typing box is at the bottom of the screen) while the taskbar is constantly being unhidden by WebEx.  You can't do it!)

Cisco this can NOT be rocket science to fix, and it needs to be fixed.  Period.  There is ZERO reason for this to happen.

This thread was started 08-26-2015.

Does anyone thing Cisco has any intention of ever fixing this?

NOPE!

I created an account I'll never use just to register this complaint.

Seriously!!!

This tool has so many stupid annoyances, this is a business decision to be as bad as possible to the actual people using the tool.

HATE!!! Wish my company had chosen something else.

I tried searching for a setting to change this behavior and this thread is the first hit. It is disappointing to find that changes to this behavior have been requested since 2015 with no response from Cisco.

jchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, this was posted five years ago and nothing has been done. Do they pay attention at all? This is incredibly annoying, fix this garbage.

I know this is kind of late, but there is a proposal to have the flashing taskbar optional

link 

Please consider voting and commenting.

SWF

hiyodhiyod85012
Level 1
Level 1

Seriously 2015 ? what the fffff

The only solution I found was to jsut close explorer during the meeting ..................

broberson721
Level 1
Level 1

+1 to give users the option to control this type of notification -- it's driving me crazy for large meetings since it's unhiding my taskbar every time a user joins or leaves the call. I imagine that for different events (user join, user leave, direct chat, chat to everyone, etc.) the user may want to choose their notification type (taskbar flash, sound, both, none).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: