Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS templates not available with CUCM registered telepresence codecs

We are busy registering several telepresence endpoints to CUCM but are missing functionality due to the limited amount of configuration parameters exposed through the CUCM device pages for a Telepresence device.

TMS can import CUCM registered endpoints (for scheduling reasons) but cannot 'manage' these anymore once registered to CUCM. So device templates can't be pushed anymore and configuration setting not available on CUCM need to be manually configured per endpoint. This is heavy if one has several hundreds of devices to manage.

Any suggestions?

7 Replies 7

Darren Roback
Level 5
Level 5

Yves,

What settings are you looking to push to the end devices? Much of this can now be done within CUCM, which is why TMS templates are not supported on CUCM registered endpoints (thought is to get to one "central" manager).

Thanks,
Darren

Darren,

I agree that eventually all parameters should be manageable through CUCM and that CUCM is to be the central place ( but this opens up the debate on the cost of TMS licenses only used for scheduling ..).

The parameters I was looking for are mainly 'network' related ones such as the MTU ( we lower it for some sites connected across the WAN where we do tunneling & crypto to avoid fragmentation ) and parameters related to QoS (DiffServ parameters) + we will start using 802.1x when Cisco solves the bug related to the use of CAPF LSC certs on TC or CE software. (https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuy20172)

IP handsets have a device setting called "802.1x AuthenticationRequired Field", video devices such as MX300G2 don't have this.

Other parameters are more related to some specific endpoint settings such as :

• Speakertrack camera settings
  • Proximity configuration
  • other audio / video related Codec parameters.
  • Security - syslog destination
  • RTP port ranges

I must admit these are not that widely used but loosing the ability to push on the entire park some new parameters or updates like mentioned above is cumbersome if it has to be done through the web interface

Regards

Yves

Yves,

Let's try to break this down a little. Of the items you mentioned, some will still need to be setup on the endpoint directly or through TMS, but a lot of them we should be able to configure centrally within CUCM. Hope this helps.

• System MTU

• This would have to be configured on the endpoint directly and/or through TMS.

• QoS DiffServ parameters

• QoS/DCSP markings can be configured globally within CUCM under Service Parameters -> Call Manager Service -> Clusterwide Parameters (System – QoS).

• Speakertrack camera settings

• Proximity configuration

• We can configure Proximity on the endpoint configuration page within CUCM or bulk configure using BAT.

• other audio / video related Codec parameters.

• Audio/video codecs can be configured intra- or inter-region using the Region configuration in CUCM in conjunction with the audio codec preference lists.

• Security - syslog destination

• RTP port ranges

• RTP port ranges for telepresence endpoints can be configured using custom SIP profiles within UCM and applied to the device(s) in question.

Thanks,
Darren

Thanks Darren,

But as stated some parameters need to be configured on the endpoint or TMS. And that is the issue, once a device is registered on CUCM, TMS can't push changes to it anymore.

But anyway thanks for your feedback, I can only hope that CUCM device pages will get all (more) device functionality over time.

Yves

FWIW in a recent partner session tms roadmap does indicate this exact same thing which is feature parity for ccm registered endpoints

Unfortunately it's on the back log and no committed date

You can ping Ron Lewis who is this product manager on the community if he can share a time frame

Thanks

Srini

Hi Darren,

I can add two more to the list that require manual configuration or TMS templates, when the VC endpoints are registered to CUCM:

1. Olson time zone

2. SRST Reference

I can tell you right now manually changing MTU on endpoints will cause more harm than good.  Your network should be accommodating for any overhead.  It is unrealistic to manage.  I thought I would chime in.    Until Cisco figures out their direct path forward with TMS, I believe we are going to have numerous gaps after migrated endpoints to CUCM with TMS.  I am guessing some of these features will creep into Cisco Meeting Manager.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_MTU_Discovery 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: