Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding the nodes in subclusters

Ess Emque
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Can any of you help with my understanding of the subcluster nodes in CUCM / IMP? Sorry if the below is stupid, but I am confused and can't find the answer in the documentation. I appreciate all of you taking the time to help on these forums :)

What I'm mostly not sure about is when they use their assigned server and when they use their service profile. And is the assigned one only used for first login?

Example:

- SubCluster 1:

U.S Pub + U.S Sub

- SubCluster 2:

Europe Sub A + Europe Sub B

In this case, if I pick balance users from the assign users, it balances them across all the nodes. My problem is, if a user in U.S is assigned to Europe Sub (and thus is a member of the Subcluster 2), then what happens if the link between U.S and Europe site goes down. The user in this case has no fallback? Should the sub cluster be Site 1 Pub + Site 2 Sub etc.? Or should we always assign manually the user to their local IMP subcluster?

Apart from this, I'm also not sure on the presence server in the UC service profile. What happens if I create a profile on users in Europe and give them Europe Sub A and Europe Sub B for example, in their profiles. But then I balance users, and there are actually assigned to U.S Pu; so they are assigned to U.S Pub, but send their presence and XMPP messages to the Europe servers defined in the service profile? Will this be a problem? Again what will going to happen when the U.S server goes down (or the link to US). Will they continue to work by sending messages to the Europe cluster even though their "assigned" cluster is down?

Sorry if this does not make sense, I am happy to clarify anything. Thank you all

Ess

1 Reply 1

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ess,

If the sites are in US and Europe, please consider Interclustering between IM&P.

Bascially, US Cluster will communicate with Eu cluster over Inter-cluster, so there will not be issues of one cluster trying to take over the other cluster during failure.

Jabber will attempt to communicate with the first IM&P Node mentioned in the Service Profile for that user. If it fails, it will try to communicate with the second server in the event the first server is down.

Now if the user is assigned to a different node in the server, that is the server Jabber will ultimately log into. Basically, IM&P Server controls where the Jabber logs into, not the Jabber Client.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: