Views
Helpful
Replies

USB Conference speaker uses mic only in webex

zaheer222
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all ,

i have left this in the hands of Cisco technical support for now  but I want edit o see if anyone had any input.  I have a Philips WeCall external USB speakerphone connected via USB to my macbook pro running 10.9.1 whenever engaging in a webex session the webex picks up and uses the mic functionality but not matter what I do it output audio through the internal speakers. Webex support says this is not solvable but I find that hard to believe does anyone have any experience with this issue , i have checked all settings in system preferences and it is  configured properly , any help ?

to clarify this Isa. USB/bluetooth combo conference speaker. But I am only using  it via USB.

5 Replies 5

Dirk-Jan Uittenbogaard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Zaheer,

Before the Webex meeting starts, do you see the Philips device as audio output and input device?

Press the OPTION key while clicking the OSX speaker/volume icon..

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 14.33.35 .png

If you see the Philips device appear both as an output & input device and they are selected you should theoretically be OK.

NEXT, when you enter the webex meeting, do you a phone application to call into the meeting?

YES: check if the speaker & microphone work before the Webex meeting

NO: you're probably using VOIP --> next

When connecting the audio, select "Test speaker/microphone"

Then click 'test' and 'no'. This allows you to select the device used for audio

Do this for both the speaker and microphone

Cheers!

DJ

Hello,

I've the same problem with the same product using it either over bluetooth or usb. Microphone works but speaker doesn't

Speaker works fine in MAC OS, I can play music with it. And interesting thing the same device works fine in my Windows VM (with Fusion 6). I've tried with Polycom products and I've seen the same issue.

My HW: Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013

My SW: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Java: 1.7.0_51

Below a screenshot the Speaker status

Capture d’écran 2014-04-01 à 19.51.33.png

Seems to be a problem of Webex on Mac

Jerome

Your Mac seems to be OK.

What about the Webex Audio settings? Here's a screenshot of mine

webex-sound-source.png

WeCall resources are showing up in Webex Audio Test however the speaker test fails (no sound on speaker). Attached a screenshot when using the product in USB - same applies when product is connected with Bluetooth.

Capture d’écran 2014-04-02 à 11.22.55.png

I've even made another test using a Mac VM (running 10.9.1). MacBook Audio pref are set to Philips WeCall. In the VM I launch Webex and in the Audio test only Audio Built-in is present (since WeCall is mapped by Fusion to Audio Built-in) - he speaker test then work in the VM. I tend to think that the issue is related to using other devices than Built-in speaker or regular headset connected via the jack port

I tend to think that the issue is related to using other devices than Built-in speaker or regular headset connected via the jack port

I have many (approx 9) different USB devices I use/have-used for Webex meetings. Just talked to one colleague who has one headset that has the same problem.

Unfortunately we may be getting to a point where there's not a lot that I can do for you anymore (not in tech-support, just a heavy Webex user ;-)

Hope someone else has some great ideas! Anyone?