Views
Helpful
Replies

WebEx App: Find Video System

Richard Greig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I saw the 'Find video system' feature is now officially supported for the mobile apps , however have a question.

Being based on Cisco Proximity, does it still require your mobile device to be on the same network as the Video endpoint?

We have had this challenge with sharing content using Proximity on room based systems - our guest network cannot route to corp, so this stops any mobile device and external partner from screen sharing.

I believe the 'Find Video System' however is just about getting the endpoint's details (SIP URI for WebEx to call), so hoping this dependency is no longer there.

Cheers,

Rich

5 Replies 5

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes "on-premise" proximity still needs network connectivity between u and the endpoint vs spark proximity which is better since the token generated by the endpoint is taken by spark and the sync happens in the cloud

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Understand that on-premise proximity requires network connectivity, however given the WebEx App 'Find Video System' feature just needs to pass the SIP URI to WebEx (as opposed to sharing content to the endpoint), should it also need this?

My understanding of how proximity works is that initially the endpoint will pass the IP address of the endpoint to the mobile device, which then tries to connect to the endpoint (for screen sharing / control etc). Given the mobile device shouldn't be connecting to the endpoint in this scenario, hoping the Video endpoint also passes the SIP URI across in the initial communication - which it can then pass onto WebEx.

Hoping the above makes sense, but please let me know if not

The way proximity works is there is an token passed in an IP message which then the client listens, extracts and then passes it back to the device. The device then checks if it is the same token and if it is it pairs.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12159326/troubleshooting-guide-cisco-proximity

So that IP network is needed since it remotely controls the endpoint to dial that SIP URI

Thanks again - so am I correct in saying that the Find My Video feature makes the endpoint call into the relevant WebEx meeting (as opposed to WebEx dialling the endpoint)?

Right it's dialing into the meeting and allowing control of the endpoint once in the meeting like hang up, mute

Thanks

Srini