cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex for Chromebook - same old broken record?

ysilao581
Level 1
Level 1

I as most people who own Chromebooks also want the million dollar question answered... when? I recently retired and have enrolled in an online college course. In my preparedness for this course I wanted something easy to use that would fulfill my needs so I bought a Chromebook. Guess I should have done my research because its useless for my needs as WebEx does not work on it and it's how I attend class.  I now have a word processing and internet browsing laptop that cannot be used for the majority of what I need it for. I cant even begin to tell you my disappointment and frustration.  I feel that I probably represent a group of students that are in my same situation. I feel I've wasted money and now have to borrow other peoples laptops to take my course via web ex. I know you are developing a solution but can you hurry up already???? I see there is a work around through some third party but I don't think that I should have to dilly dally around with it every 5 minutes during class so I don't drop my Webex connectivity. Cant we all just have the technology we need when we need it?  I'm hoping you are closer to giving a date than the unanswered previous post.

2 Replies 2

shimathu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Understand your frustration & concern.  Sorry we still don't have a firm date but we are working on plans for a browser-based meetings client that will work on Chrome browser. We will update once we have more information & dates to share. Thanks for your patience.

ezuser666
Level 1
Level 1

There's no official announcement from Google or Cisco saying this is supported so unfortuately you've only got yourself to blame. I feel for you though as I've been wanting to make the switch to Chromebook  for a while but as yet it's just not practical even though anything is better than Windows 8.

Have you considered a cheap Android tablet maybe something like the Tesco Hudl as there is a WebEx app for that. Not used it though: Cisco WebEx Meetings - Android Apps on Google Play

The two combined give you quite a portable setup and having the WebEx on a seperate screen means you can type up your notes in the word processor on your Chromebook or follow along in more practical activities.  I've just got a Bluetooth keyboard for the Hudl and it's become my NetBook replacement. Not as nice as the Chromebook but it kind of works and it's better than lugging a normal laptop around, you should even be able to plug it into a TV for a bigger picture although doubt it'll support ChromeCast.

Surprised that the Cisco reply didn't mention this really.