cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex/MeetingPlace 8.5 - 'Require an account to join the meeting'

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When scheduling meetings, there is a 'Require attendees to have an account on this Website in order to join this meeting' option in the advanced scheduler.

This correctly requires logon to the website before allowing acces to the web conference room.

However... if a user dials in to the meeting audio (via MeetingPlace) they are prompted for meeting ID, then an attendee ID. However.. they are offered the option to just press # if they don't have one, and this allows them into the meeting, completely bypassing the security.

Is this the expected operation?

Thanks

Aaron

Message was edited on June 5, 2013: Kelli Glass, Cisco Collaboration Community moderator, added community categories and tags for greater ease in filtering posts (no change to content).

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
3 Replies 3

jdedell12
Level 5
Level 5

Aaron,

Yes this is the expected operation.  I don't know away around this.

John

So... from what I can see (bear with me, I'm new to webex) there is no concept of PIN-protecting a conference either?

So there's no concept of a 'secure' conference?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Susan McEvilly
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Aaron:  Even requiring advance registration does not avoid this. The ‘pin’ is the Meeting ID, which is the same for everyone.

I’ve seen customers avoid unwanted audio connections in their meetings a few ways.  Simple, but maybe one of these will work for you.

1. Only allow VoIP
  2. Remove the audio instructions from the e-mail invitation.  Audio instructions will be visible after the attendee has joined the web portion of your meeting.  Require meeting registration in advance for an additional layer of security.

If you want to allow audio-only connections, you can ask ‘“call-in users” to verbally identify themselves and (with some versions of MC) right-click to ‘rename’ those connections on your MC Participant Panel so you know who they are. You can also  ‘Expel’ audio-only attendees who do not identify themselves.  This option isn't scalable for large events, but will work for a smaller meeting.

Others in this community may have suggestions for you as well.

Good luck,

Susan McEvilly

Meet Me In The Cloud, LLC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: