Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Web Client on Linux

Randal_Rioux
Level 1
Level 1

Fedora 28 / XFCE / Chrome 68

Meetings that I start work fine in Linux. However, meetings other people create cause this error to be displayed in the browser when I try to join:

You can't start or join this Webex meeting because it's enabled for Webex Meetings video conferencing, which isn't supported by your browser, browser version, or operating system. Contact your administrator for more information.

I notice when I create a meeting, the option to allow video is grayed out in the configuration (though a check mark is present - confusing).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a known issue, and if so, any workarounds? 

Thanks!

Randal

12 Replies 12

rhmk
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

now that the cisco client for Linux is out the problem still remains. The client transfers to a webpage for registration, but it is not handed back to the fat client

Any news how to fix this?

BR

MArkus

I've the same problem : joining a meeting from the app launch it in the browser

I have had this problem after I upgraded from RHEL 7.3 to 7.4.  Given that they have a client for Android devices (aka Linux) I can't see why Cisco can't fix this issue!

iezuuthe
Level 1
Level 1

I have this same problem on RHEL8 / GNOME / Chrome Version 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Changing user agent does not help if I switch to Windows then it tries to download an executable.

rajaol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have solved this problem by installing User Agent Switcher add on  Linux/firefox.

Whenever I want to do meeting on webex I will just switch my user agent to something that is acceptable by Webex like Windows/Chrome.

This is a serious issue with UserAgent checking by Cisco/Webex - they should solve it ASAP but no aggressiveness seen to solve it by Cisco/Webex. 

Thank You.

If I switch User Agent to Windows / Chrome then webex tries to download an exe

pletka
Level 1
Level 1

Webex did work for me with Chromium Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu even with desktop sharing running on Ubuntu 19.04 (64-bit) until yesterday. Today, I got the same error. I did no updates/changes...

Similar here, on RHEL 7.7. Last week it was fine; today (2 Oct 2019) I got the message. Dialling in to the phone number from a mobile worked fine as usual so there doesn't seem to be any actual requirement for video etc.. Unlike pletka, though, my laptop recently had some updates installed.

Does Webex perform some sort of practical test for this, or just check browser and OS version strings?

Same issue here.

It was working fine until today (Oct 2 2019)

I haven't been able to join a single meeting and of course hosting my own meetings is now impossible.

RHEL 7.6

Firefox 60.8.0esr

Same here just stopped working on both firefox and chrome on Oct 2 9:50 am on ubuntu 16.04. That was working by all means hosting a webex or joining including w/video and sound no issues prior to that timeline. i wasted quite some time it fails with same message  however that was not the case before. nothing has been added or removed or altered up until today.

"You can't start or join this Webex meeting because it's enabled for Webex Meetings video conferencing, which isn't supported by your browser, browser version, or operating system. Contact your administrator for more information." 

Apparently, Cisco is working on the issue. But no ETA at the moment. For me, Webex is working again with Chromium as of today.

esmith9000
Level 1
Level 1

It would be soooooooo awesome if Cisco would develop a thick client for RPM and Debian based Linux systems.