Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: James Maudlin on 12-12-2011 01:48:02 PM
 1)      With the new built in DB OVM what ¿role¿ gets the database server? I would assume the director but I¿m not certain

2)      When installing the Director I got numerous errors telling me the FQDN was invalid, is there any guidance on what constitutes a valid FQDN?

3)      Finally, and this is where I stopped, I was getting a message asking for the CPS FQDN. I didn¿t find anything about setting up a CPS this time around, is that normal?

Subject: RE: 2.5.2 installation questions
Replied by: Haydeh Dejbakhsh on 12-12-2011 01:55:54 PM
1-   It is Embedded Oracle and DB role install on a VM independent from Director node.

2- FQDN is Host Name.Domain Name for example mynode.name.com

3- Any place you see the CPS should be replaced with Director FQDN.

Replied by: Neil Bowman on 12-12-2011 02:14:11 PM
In regards to #1 - the Embedded Oracle and DB role, when deploying the OVM template I don't see that in the list of configurations, is there something else I need to do to find it?

2) I've tried using the FQDN I want to use (my server name . my domain) and I keep getting the Invalid FQDN. I may have missed this in the instructions but do I need static DNS entries on my server first?

Replied by: Michael Popovich on 12-12-2011 02:18:20 PM
Yes. you need DNS entries for all nodes prior to deployment.

Replied by: Neil Bowman on 12-12-2011 02:19:52 PM
Ok that makes sense, the main sticking point then is the database itself then. Is there any documentation or notes on deploying the DB OVF in 2.5.2?

Replied by: Haydeh Dejbakhsh on 12-12-2011 02:29:36 PM
The beauty of this is that Oracle is being installed and configured without user intervention and get installed fast.

Replied by: Neil Bowman on 12-12-2011 02:33:30 PM
Haydeh, my confusion is where and how does the Oracle database get installed? Is it handled as part of the Director node/server or is there another node type I have to stand up?

Replied by: Haydeh Dejbakhsh on 12-12-2011 02:43:50 PM
Hi Neil,
When you bring up your Director node should start the GUI and go through setting after that set the Topology which you define the node role.  

For example in LAB we allocated one of our VM node hostname=WebEx Socialemdb and this host FQDN is assigned as embedded Oracle (from drop down menu) in topology page role assignment.

When you start/power up the VM that you consider for Embedded Oracle then it knows what needed to be installed.

Let us know if you need more information and/or instruction for installing WebEx Social 2.5.2.
Thanks,    /heidi

Replied by: Neil Bowman on 12-12-2011 02:50:03 PM
Ok thanks, I'm starting to see how it works now. So going off the admin guide I understood there would be the following 8 nodes:

Analytics Store
Director
Notifier
WebEx Social Web
Search Store
RDBMS Store
Cache
Index Store
JSON Store
Message Queue
Graph API (optional)
Graph Store (optional)

What you're saying is I would stand up a 9th node as the Embedded Oracle DB. Does it matter which configuration role I choose when deploying the OVF? Most of the others had a choice in the drop down however I do not see a configuration choice for OVF.

Replied by: Mohsin Ali on 12-12-2011 02:53:47 PM
HI Neil,

RBDMS store is the embedded oracle node. In 2.52 it gets delpoyed just like any other WebEx Social node. All oracle accounts used by WebEx Social are set behind the scene and requires minimal user input.

HTH,

Mo

Replied by: Neil Bowman on 12-12-2011 02:58:11 PM
Mo,
   Thanks that clears up my confusion. I'll post again if I get stuck.

Neil

Replied by: Neil Bowman on 12-12-2011 03:28:46 PM
Ok, so skipping back a few to item #2 on the original request. The DNS entries are added, but I'm still getting the FQDN invalid error when trying to set up the director. I've verified that other machines in the network can ping the dns name and resolve the IP.

The director's name is ib-WebEx Social-DIR-01 and the domain is example.local, so the fqdn should be ib-WebEx Social-dir-01.example.local right? Is there another reason it might be giving the FQDN error?

Replied by: Haydeh Dejbakhsh on 12-12-2011 05:29:05 PM
Neil, I set the DNS first for any host before powering up the VM machine.

Your FQDN of ib-WebEx Social-dir-01.example.local  is correct which should be in DNS.

At this point i suggest to delete from disk the Director VM and create it again and go through the setup which should work.

Replied by: Neil Bowman on 13-12-2011 07:14:56 AM
Well for future reference I found the solution to the problem. I had the DNS working, I'd recreated the node twice, and finally found my error by a simple mistake. By default and force of habit I type server names in all caps, apparently WebEx Social is particular and will only accept the FQDN if everything is lowercase.

Replied by: Haydeh Dejbakhsh on 13-12-2011 11:56:03 AM
Neil, I am glad you resolved your own issue.   As you know the VM¿s OS is Linux based and all Unix/Linux are case sensitive and one should keep that in mind.

Replied by: Daniel Bender on 30-01-2012 04:16:10 PM
I noticed that I received the invalid FQDN error if I typed it in with any CAPS.  If I typed it in all lowercase the error went away.  No idea if that's the true root cause, but static DNS entries were correctly in place before I tried building anything.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links