Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: null on 31-01-2006 03:41:43 PM
At my existing company, I want to do parallel (asynchronous) processing for improved performance at certain places in the IVR. For example, when a caller calls and is given greetings, I want to simultaneously call the backend to obtain current stock prices, and some configuration information which takes about 5 seconds now. I would like to provide a 5 second greeting and at the same time make the back end call. So, that by the time greeting ends, I am ready to move the call further rather than make the caller wait for 5 seconds.

Any suggestions.

Deepak

Subject: RE: Asynchronous retrievals
Replied by: Vance Vagell on 31-01-2006 04:02:05 PM
Hi Deepak,

In the example you gave, all of the asynchronous processing your application requires would occur at the start of the call. Audium software provides the capability to run a Java class in the background as soon as a new call starts, this class is called the Start of Call Action.

By creating a Start of Call Action, you can retrieve information such as current stock prices, and store them in session data for use throughout your application. However, as with any asynchronous process, checks should be added later in the callflow to ensure that this processing has completed (and was successful) before the information is accessed.

Please note that the Start of Call Action is not run asynchronously by default, you should ensure that the "Run In Background" checkbox is checked in your Audium application's properties, near where you specify the class to be run.

You may find the following Audium Knowledge Base article helpful, as it provides an overview of Start of Call Action functionality:

Start / End of Call Actions

For detailed information about how to implement a Start of Call Action, please refer to the Programmer Guide and Audium Java API Javadocs. We also have Java code templates available, one of which is a Start of Call Action template. To use the template, simply add your custom code to the section indicated by a comment.

Regards,
Vance

Replied by: null on 01-02-2006 04:23:41 PM
I read the documentation regarding start of call action and tried to find the "run in background" button in the audium builder but could not locate it. I found in the settings the "on call start" slot for specifying the java class but no place for the button for running in background. We aer using audium 3.3 version.

Where do I find the "run in background" button ?

Deepak

Replied by: Vance Vagell on 01-02-2006 06:24:09 PM
Hi Deepak,

The ability to run the Call Start Action in the background was introduced after Audium 3.3. However, you can simulate this behavior by creating a Call Start Action class which spawns a thread to do the asynchronous processing. Then the class can complete its work, and the callflow can begin before the thread is done. Please be sure to adhere to standard thread safety techniques.

Regards,
Vance
Comments
singhnirmals
Community Member

Hi All,

I am new to CVP and my requirement is to ask Username and Password then play the prompt lets say "hold.wav" till the time response comes from DB. I want to try for 3 attempts with Database otherwise I will prompt user to "Technical Error". I am not sure how to achieve this. Any help is really appreciated.

Regards,

Nirmal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links