Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Gordon Ross on 06-10-2011 11:56:12 AM
When using the POST method to send an instruction to the phone, the docs say that the user you authenticate the HTTP POST with must be associated with the handset.

So what if I want to be able to post to any handset on the system ? Must I associate every handset in the system with this user ? Or is there a more general way to do it ?

Thanks,

GTG

Subject: RE: Authentication Question
Replied by: David Staudt on 06-10-2011 12:18:14 PM
The short answer is: yes.

Longer answer: it is possible to 'replace' the authentication mechanism used by the phone to check user/phone association with your own.  When the phones need to authenticate a request, they send an HTTP query to the authentication URL configured on UCM (under Enterprise Service parameters, or individual phone config page).  By default, this URL points to the UCM itself, which checks the query and returns 'AUTHORIZED' if it succeeds.  If you change this URL to point to a web service you provide, your service can do anything it wants - typically approving any request which specifies a special app username, and sending an HTTP redirect back to UCM if it's a user it doesn't recognize - as long as it returns the correct response to the phone.

There is a sample app in the IPPS SDK (Pushauthenticate.asp) which shows how this might be done.

Subject: Re: New Message from David Staudt in IP Phone Services (IPPS) - IP Phone Se
Replied by: Johannes Magagula on 06-10-2011 12:52:30 PM
David, I get a "Host Not Found" error when I try to send login parameters along with a URL that leads to a login page of a website on the internet. I send this within the CiscoIPPhoneImage XML object as a URL of a "Submit" Softkey. The login parameters are correct and they work when I use them on a browser. I don't know what is wrong and I can't use the CiscoURL Proxy for this since I want to send a url to a webpage instead of get the webpage. Please help and thanks in advance.
Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

-----Original Message-----
From: Cisco Developer Community Forums <cdicuser@developer.cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 12:18:15
To: cdicuser@developer.cisco.com<cdicuser@developer.cisco.com>
Reply-To: "cdicuser@developer.cisco.com" <cdicuser@developer.cisco.com>
Subject: New Message from David Staudt in IP Phone Services (IPPS) - IP
Phone Services Questions: RE: Authentication Question

David Staudt has created a new message in the forum "IP Phone Services Questions":

--------------------------------------------------------------
The short answer is: yes.

Longer answer: it is possible to 'replace' the authentication mechanism used by the phone to check user/phone association with your own.  When the phones need to authenticate a request, they send an HTTP query to the authentication URL configured on UCM (under Enterprise Service parameters, or individual phone config page).  By default, this URL points to the UCM itself, which checks the query and returns 'AUTHORIZED' if it succeeds.  If you change this URL to point to a web service you provide, your service can do anything it wants - typically approving any request which specifies a special app username, and sending an HTTP redirect back to UCM if it's a user it doesn't recognize - as long as it returns the correct response to the phone.

There is a sample app in the IPPS SDK (Pushauthenticate.asp) which shows how this might be done.
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link:

<http://developer.cisco.com/web/ipps/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/4577882>

or simply reply to this email.

Subject: RE: Authentication Question
Replied by: Gordon Ross on 07-10-2011 02:34:32 AM
Thank you for that. That sample code is perfect. Just one small question: The sample code doesn't explicity set a MIME type for the return data. Does it matter ?

GTG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links