Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Michael Babbs on 24-09-2010 05:18:49 PM
Hi

I have a requirement to implement a Thin Client integration with the CTIOS Server. Ordinarily I think the JavaCil would be the best option with an Applet, but it doesnt support Silent Monitoring which is a requirement. The OS is XP and the Client is IE.

That leaves the COM Cil and the C++ Cil.

The options that I can see are

1: A signed Java Applet with COM4J to reference the COM Cil.
2: An ActiveX wrapper written in C# or VB.NET that is called by Javascript. However I am not sure how feasible it is to then call the COM Cil from a C# or VB.NET Active X component.
3: A signed Java Applet with JNI to call the C++ Cil.
4: Reference the COM Cil's directly from Javascript (activeX), but I am not sure the COM Cil's methods are COM visible or how to register for events.
5: Write a C++ wrapper to use the COM CIL, register it with windows and then reference it through Javascript (ActiveX). Again I am not sure how feasible this option is.

What do you think ? Which would be the simplest implementation ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Its a real shame that Silent Monitoring is not supported in the Java or .NET CILs.

Thanks

Mike

Subject: RE: Best Architecture ?
Replied by: Shannon McCoy on 08-10-2010 07:14:15 PM
Hi

I have a requirement to implement a Thin Client integration with the CTIOS Server. Ordinarily I think the JavaCil would be the best option with an Applet, but it doesnt support Silent Monitoring which is a requirement. The OS is XP and the Client is IE.

That leaves the COM Cil and the C++ Cil.

The options that I can see are

1: A signed Java Applet with COM4J to reference the COM Cil.
2: An ActiveX wrapper written in C# or VB.NET that is called by Javascript. However I am not sure how feasible it is to then call the COM Cil from a C# or VB.NET Active X component.
3: A signed Java Applet with JNI to call the C++ Cil.
4: Reference the COM Cil's directly from Javascript (activeX), but I am not sure the COM Cil's methods are COM visible or how to register for events.
5: Write a C++ wrapper to use the COM CIL, register it with windows and then reference it through Javascript (ActiveX). Again I am not sure how feasible this option is.

What do you think ? Which would be the simplest implementation ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Its a real shame that Silent Monitoring is not supported in the Java or .NET CILs.

Thanks

Mike

Another option is to use a WPF .NET applicaiton that runs in the browser and calls the COM Cil directly. You don't need to use Java in that case. Any way to go its about the hardest think you can do with this platform. Is there a reason you can't do a ClickOnce thick client? It has the benefits of the web with the advantage of being installed on the machine automatically. The silent monitor fuctionality is depenent on the WinCAP being installed as a thick install anyway so you are not saving much effort. The other alternative is to use CCM silent monitoring and skip all the packet capture stuff.

Subject: RE: Best Architecture ?
Replied by: Michael Babbs on 04-02-2011 12:06:44 PM
Just to follow up.

I opted for a COM architecture in the end. Its finished now and works nicely.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links