Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Derek Wright on 01-03-2011 01:59:38 PM
Recently completed a project comprising of 4no. C40 systems(running TC4.0.1) and Crestron MP2 processor's and firstly tried integrating the 1.3 serial control module.

Upon connecting and diagnosing it was found that the combination caused the MP2 to reboot and fail continuously whilst processing the feedback from the codec.  Upon disocnnection of the feedback to the module system stability was restored however not all functions of the module worked succesfully as they were dependent upon receiving a connection confirmation from the codec. Upon reconnection of the feedback to the module the same failiure occured(print screen attached)

The only workaround that could be found was to modify the module to allow sending of commands irrespective of codec connection.

Whilst this works, it is not ideal as feedback for certain commands ie. mic mute status, etc is required so this can be accurately reflected on the user interface i.e touchpanel.

In addition it is not possible via the module to dial an audio call and therefore a subsequnet Simpl+ module was required to implement.

Can someone please confirm compatibility of the two systems as currently the end result is not ideal.

Thanks

Derek Wright

Subject: RE: Crestron 2-Series RS-232C vs Tandberg TC4.0.1
Replied by: Stig Karlsen on 01-03-2011 03:02:03 PM
Hi Derek,

Although this is not a Crestron forum i can give you an advise...
Looks like  you run out of memory on the processor.
The serial 1.3 modules has been around for a while and they should be working with all the 2 series processors.
I have not used it with MP2 but they works fine with the CP2.
I have seen this error messages on other processors that occur/disappear re. firmware version.

So,I would first try to download and install the latest firmware release. v4.003.0015

Best Regards

Stig

Replied by: Derek Wright on 01-03-2011 06:10:27 PM
Thanks Stig.

All processors are currently running 4.001.1012(February 2009) which I believe is the release prior to the version you mention below.

Do you know which version you used your processor's with?

Also, did you just insert the module and tie up the relevant signals as I noticed when inserted there are a number of inputs which are tied to '0' which whilst I understand why from looking at the module is generally considered not good programming practice.

I am on-site tomorrow so will try one of the systems with the new firmware and see what the results are.

Best Regards,

Derek

Replied by: Chris Foxwell on 01-03-2011 10:52:34 PM
Hi Derick

I am thinking the problem may not be occured due to the crestron firmware as Herr Stig recommends. Firmware will not be increasing the memory of the processor and the module you reference to was realised more before the firmware update.

The issued could be occured due to the variable length strings sent by the tandberg feedback. I have seen a similar circumstance with feedback from a near circuit TV multiplexer (BOSCH). The feedback is without header and I suspect the problem is happening due to large amount of threads in the S+ Parsing routine.

Maybe try implanting a buffer input and putting the start pair charachter as the end of string delimiter. This will incur latency as you will also be one string behind, however maybe this could be for work around in the short time.

Just my thinking, I would be interesting to hear if you find a good salvation.

Herman

Replied by: David Bruun-Lie on 02-03-2011 10:15:57 AM
Derek,
I wrote the module and I have not seen this problem - however I have only tested on on a Pro2 and a CP2e processor.

Regarding your comment "when inserted there are a number of inputs which are tied to '0' which whilst I understand why from looking at the module is generally considered not good programming practice.". Could you elaborate on this? I don't understand what you mean but I wouldn't like to think that we were implementing things in a way not considered good programming practice!

Cheers,
David

Replied by: Derek Wright on 03-03-2011 04:35:34 PM
Thanks for the reply David.

For reference, one of the systems was based around MC2E processor which also had the same problem. As far as I am aware the processing power across the 2-series range is the same with the only variable being that of the control ports so in theory all should function the same.

In respect of the module and my comments regarding the tie of inputs to '0', it is unusual to see this assignment when inserting directly from the library. Usually signals are left undefined for the programmer to decide which ones are required and any unused inputs are usually defined '//'. This said I have tried with and without and the results are the same.

I am assuming the '0' assignment has a impact on the codec setup and subsequent feedback processing required?

All the systems are working at the momnent but only on a uni-directional basis as when I connect the feedback from the codec into the module the same result to that of the print screen are experienced.

Anything you can do on thois would be appreicated as I would like to have full use of the module as intended.

Have you had any thoughts regarding the dialling of an audio call as I couldnt find a method of doing this and subsequnetly created a small module to allow this functionality.

Thanks

Derek
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links