Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: null on 01-12-2005 12:38:31 AM
Hi,

What options are there for enabling barge-in in the middle of a sentence? For example, given dialogue of "This is important information I'd like you to hear, but you can interrupt me if you really need to ...", having barge-in "false" at the start of the sentence, but between words (using above example), "hear," and "but", to set barge-in to "true".

We can split the dialogue into two separate .wavs, and have two separate audio elements play accordingly. The catch is that delays in retrieving VoiceXML pages will typically be noticable mid-sentence. Presumably this is a VoiceXML consideration rather than an Audium issue.

Thanks.

Subject: RE: Enabling barge-in mid-sentence
Replied by: Vance Vagell on 01-12-2005 08:23:16 PM
Hello,

The value of bargein can either be set as a VoiceXML property or on a per-prompt basis (see section 6.3.4 of the VoiceXML 2.0 Specification). The best solution, as you mentioned, is to split this Audio into two separate prompts. Some voice browsers may cache the audio, in which case the caller would not experience a delay. Here is the example you gave:

"This is important information I'd like you to hear, but you can interrupt me if you really need to."

This could be broken into these two prompts, so that a pause (e.g. if the voice browser does not cache) in the middle would seem more natural:

(bargein off)
"The following is important information."
(possible short pause due to loading)
(bargein on)
"If you need to interrupt me, say or enter your response."

Hope this helps,
Vance
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links