Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Greg Worm on 11-10-2011 03:41:24 PM
I am looking to use an inline DTMF grammar for variable length digits within a form object.  I am looking for the syntax that would work with Gateway Version 15.1(3)T1 that does not use an ASR.

Subject: RE: inline DTMF Digits grammar
Replied by: Greg Worm on 11-10-2011 04:16:30 PM
Janine,

Do you know what voiceXML Gateway version I need to select to get the grammar tag printed out onto the vxml page.

Subject: Re: New Message from Greg Worm in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - CVP - All V
Replied by: Janine Graves on 11-10-2011 04:30:30 PM
You should just be able to select Cisco CVP with DTMF Are you having issues with this? On 10/11/2011 4:16 PM, Cisco Developer Community Forums wrote: Greg Worm has created a new message in the forum "CVP - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Janine, Do you know what voiceXML Gateway version I need to select to get the grammar tag printed out onto the vxml page. -- To respond to this post, please click the following link: <http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/4590889> or simply reply to this email. -- Janine Graves

Replied by: Greg Worm on 11-10-2011 04:35:25 PM
I am trying to create a form that accepts 4-10 digits and also accepts a *.  Right now the system is only generating the keypress * and not the Grammar builtin:dtmf/digits

Replied by: Greg Worm on 11-10-2011 04:49:03 PM
CVP Version: 8.5(1)
Gateway Version 15.1(3)T1
Cisco-IOS-C3900/15.1

Replied by: Greg Worm on 12-10-2011 10:50:05 AM
Is there a way in custom java code to catch the hotlink and set some session variables?  Currently it is bypassing my java code and and I get no exitState.

FYI I could not use the digit element I had to use the Form element.

Subject: Re: New Message from Greg Worm in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - CVP - All V
Replied by: Janine Graves on 11-10-2011 03:57:30 PM
You can put this into the DTMF Grammar setting of the form element  builtin:dtmf/digits On 10/11/2011 3:41 PM, Cisco Developer Community Forums wrote: Greg Worm has created a new message in the forum "CVP - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- I am loking to use an inline DTMF grammar for variable length digits within a form object.  I am looking for the syntax that would work with Gateway Version 15.1(3)T1 that does not use an ASR. -- To respond to this post, please click the following link: <http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/4590852> or simply reply to this email. -- Janine Graves

Replied by: Janine Graves on 11-10-2011 04:46:30 PM
Which gateway do you have selected? Is it the Cisco with DTMF? And which version of Studio/VxmlServer do you have? And which version of IOS? For the star key, Cisco with DTMF, requires you to use backslash before the star  \*   in the Form element DTMF Keypress setting. And I've always used builtin:dtmf/digits    for the DTMF Grammar setting. But I will test this again in an hour when I get into the office (I'm on Aussie time right now). ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On 10/11/2011 4:35 PM, Cisco Developer Community Forums wrote: Greg Worm has created a new message in the forum "CVP - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- I am trying to create a form that accepts 4-10 digits and also accepts a *. Right now the system is only generating the keypress * and not the Grammar builtin:dtmf/digits -- To respond to this post, please click the following link: <http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/4590907> or simply reply to this email. -- Janine Graves

Replied by: Janine Graves on 11-10-2011 05:50:30 PM
You're right, I just tried it and the gateway gave me a nomatch too. So, try this work-around: Use a Digits element, specify your range of digits. Then in that same Digits element, select the tab LocalHotlinks and do the following: 1.Press the "Add" button 2/3 way down. 2.Highlight the New_Local_Hotlink1 in the window 3.Change the name at the bottom to "Star" 4.Pull down the DTMF menu at the bottom, select Inline 4b.Enter \* in the box next to that. this gives you a new exit state off the Digits element that will be executed if the caller press star. Hope this helps. It's not perfect, as you won't get a 'value' variable if the caller presses the star key, but it'll get you up and running. Janine On 10/11/2011 4:49 PM, Cisco Developer Community Forums wrote: Greg Worm has created a new message in the forum "CVP - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- CVP Version: 8.5(1) Gateway Version 15.1(3)T1 Version 15.1(3)T1 -- To respond to this post, please click the following link: <http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/4590926> or simply reply to this email. -- Janine Graves

Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 12-10-2011 01:42:21 PM
Is there a way in custom java code to catch the hotlink and set some session variables? Currently it is bypassing my java code and and I get no exitState.

FYI I could not use the digit element I had to use the Form element.

Java code cannot typically catch a hotlink. You can use the hotlink to throw a event which calls a java class and there you can set the session variables.

Replied by: Greg Worm on 12-10-2011 03:36:35 PM
The problem with that approch is that is accepts non-digit numbers.  .....?.?.? accepts 1*1*1*1*.  I only need digits.  I got My issue to work woth a Form element and a HotLink.  Not the best or right way but it is working.

Replied by: Greg Worm on 12-10-2011 03:36:59 PM
Thanks for all of your help!

Replied by: Greg Worm on 12-10-2011 04:07:57 PM
In the form I endered "builtin:dtmf/digits?minlength=4;maxlength=10" in the DTMF Grammar spot and "\*" in the Hotlink

Replied by: Greg Worm on 12-10-2011 04:15:48 PM
I think my original problem was that i was trying to use the Digits object with the \* using custom code.  Then I switched to a Form and tried using the Grammar and Keypress together.  Neither of these combos worked and Using a \* in a Hotlink does not work with the Menus or Digits object.  I am finding some strange behavior using the Cisco DTMF.

Replied by: Janine Graves on 12-10-2011 03:27:28 PM
Greg, I agree that the builtin:dtmf/digits doesn't seem to work anymore. It used to. And according to the documentation, it still should. "The <field> builtin types digits and number accept any nondigit input." -------------------------------------------------- But, until Cisco fixes that, here's a possible workaround. In the Cisco VoiceXML Programming Guide (not the Programming Guide for Studio/Vxml Server, but the Guide for the gateway), it talks about using Regular Expressions for the gateway's DTMF grammar. Search for "Cisco DTMF Grammar".  (See below) --------------------------------------------------- It looks like you could probably use the Form and enter this on the DTMF Keypress setting:   .... .? .? .? .? .? .?  (this seems as it would allow 4 to 10 digits (4 dots followed by  space-dot-question mark 6 times). -------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- .  (dot) Matches any single character. For example, Cisco DTMF grammar with a regular expression <grammar type= ¿application/grammar+regex¿>1408.......</grammar> matches a seven digit phone number with the leading area code 1408. ----------------------------------------------- \ (backslash) The quoting character. It removes any special meaning from the following character and treats it as an ordinary character. For example, <grammar type= ¿application/grammar+regex¿>\*</grammar> matches a literal asterisk (star) key, not the asterisk repetition operator. ------------------------------------------------ ? Matches zero or one occurrence of the character or regular expression immediately preceding. For example, <grammar type= ¿application/grammar+regex¿>408?</grammar> matches 40, 4088, 40888, 408123, 4083456. The match occurs for 408, 4088, 40888 and also for 408 followed by other extra digits that occur after 408. ---------------------------------------------- + Matches one or more occurrences of the character or regular expression immediately preceding. For example, <grammar type= ¿application/grammar+regex¿>408+</grammar> matches 408, 4088, 40888, 408123, 408883456. The match occurs not only for 408, 4088, 40888 but also for 408 followed by other extra digits that occur after 408. ------------------------------------------------ * Matches zero or more occurrences of the character immediately preceding. For example, <grammar type= ¿application/grammar+regex¿>408*</grammar> matches 40, 4088, 40888, 408123, 4083456. The match occurs not only for 408, 4088, 40888 but also for 408 followed by other extra digits that occur after 408. ------------------------------------------------ Only the previously listed metacharacters are supported. When an unsupported metacharacter is used, no error will be triggered. However, input recognition will produce unexpected results. In addition to matching the original pattern, the DTMF grammar matches the original pattern followed by extra digits. Matching of extra digits occurs only if the repetition operators are at the end of a pattern. Regular expression for DTMF grammar allows you to use only empty spaces instead of the operator | to join characters. For example: ¿To join \* and .+ use an empty space instead of the operator |. See the following example: <grammar type= ¿application/grammar+regex¿>\* .+</grammar> The <field> builtin types digits and number accept any nondigit input. A nomatch event is not generated. Regards Janine ------------- ------------ ----------- On 10/12/2011 10:50 AM, Cisco Developer Community Forums wrote: Greg Worm has created a new message in the forum "CVP - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- Is there a way in custom java code to catch the hotlink and set some session variables? Currently it is bypassing my java code and and I get no exitState. FYI I could not use the digit element I had to use the Form element. -- To respond to this post, please click the following link: <http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/4592156> or simply reply to this email. -- Janine Graves

Replied by: Janine Graves on 12-10-2011 03:52:28 PM
What did you put into the form element and the hotlink to get it to accept 4-10 digits? On 10/12/2011 3:36 PM, Cisco Developer Community Forums wrote: Greg Worm has created a new message in the forum "CVP - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- The problem with that approch is that is accepts non-digit numbers. .....?.?.? accepts 1*1*1*1*. I only need digits. I got My issue to work woth a Form element and a HotLink. Not the best or right way but it is working. -- To respond to this post, please click the following link: <http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/4594596> or simply reply to this email. -- Janine Graves

Replied by: Janine Graves on 12-10-2011 04:12:28 PM
Hi Greg,

But, I thought that 'builtin:dtmf/digits?minlength=4;maxlength=10'
didn't work?

Are you saying that the builtin works so long as you DON"T fill in the
\* as the keypress?

--
Janine Graves

Replied by: Greg Worm on 17-10-2011 02:51:06 PM
After further review adding a DTMF grammar of builtin:dtmf/digits?minlength=4;maxlength=10 does not work.  Infact the grammar is ignored and you can enter any combination of keypresses.  The grammar tag is not even pressent in the VXML that CVP generates.

Replied by: Corey Junge on 19-10-2011 05:50:26 PM
Hey Greg,

Maybe you should try "vxml allow-star-digit"

on your vxml gateway

Thanks,
Corey

Replied by: Corey Junge on 21-10-2011 10:07:43 AM
Janine,

I tested it with being part of the VXML Gateway CLI only.  I'm not sure if there is another way for this to work properly.
It seems this command Overrides the VXML 2.0 command, default behavior, as far as I know as it is a gateway command its all or nothing.
As far as i know the only element that this really affected was the Digits element, If that helps.
We could not get the builtin:dtmf/digits?minlength=4;maxlength=7) Length checking working at all.
Luckily the built-in min / max checks are working properly in the Digits element.

Regards,
Corey Junge

Replied by: Janine Graves on 21-10-2011 09:50:05 AM
Hi Corey,

Does that command have to be part of the gateway CLI? Or can you execute it for one node in the studio app?
I'm wondering if there's a way to allow * with digits grammar only on certain elements in studio? Or is it "all or nothing"?
Do you know how to specify using regex for the gateway to allow 4 to 7 digits (if I didn't want to use the builtin:dtmf/digits?minlength=4;maxlength=7)?
Without allowing the star key? And then also if I wanted to allow the star key?

Thanks, Janine

Replied by: Asher Schweigart on 11-10-2012 04:30:06 PM
I am trying to create a form that accepts 4-10 digits and also accepts a *.  Right now the system is only generating the keypress * and not the Grammar builtin:dtmf/digits

Subject: Automatic reply: New Message from Asher Schweigart in Customer Voice Portal
Replied by: Greg Worm on 11-10-2012 04:30:42 PM
I will be travelling October 5th though October 19th. If you require immediate assistance, please call the DDV Hotline at 651.686.4300.

Subject: RE: New Message from Asher Schweigart in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - CVP
Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 11-10-2012 04:38:26 PM
I have something similar. “Please enter the check number followed by the pound sign. To return to the main menu, press star.”

<setting name="dtmf_grammar">builtin:dtmf/digits?maxlength=11</setting>

Regards,
Geoff
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Geoff Thompson            Unified Contact Center Practice
Email:  geoff@hp.com      HP Technology Consulting
Phone:  +1.650.236.0290   Hewlett-Packard Company
Mobile: +1.408.204.5297   1501 Page Mill Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94304

From: Cisco Developer Community Forums [mailto:cdicuser@developer.cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:30 PM
To: cdicuser@developer.cisco.com
Subject: New Message from Asher Schweigart in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - CVP - All Versions: RE: inline DTMF Digits grammar

Asher Schweigart has created a new message in the forum "CVP - All Versions": -------------------------------------------------------------- I am trying to create a form that accepts 4-10 digits and also accepts a *. Right now the system is only generating the keypress * and not the Grammar builtin:dtmf/digits
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/7537946 or simply reply to this email.

Subject: RE: New Message from GEOFFREY THOMPSON in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - CVP
Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 11-10-2012 04:45:26 PM
Sorry – forgot to add that I catch it with a local hotlink

<local_hotlinks>
<local_hotlink>
<name>Star</name>
<dtmf_grammar_type>Inline</dtmf_grammar_type>
<dtmf_grammar_value>\*</dtmf_grammar_value>
<speech_grammar_type>-</speech_grammar_type>
<speech_grammar_value/>
<throws_event>false</throws_event>
<event_name/>
</local_hotlink>
</local_hotlinks>

Regards,
Geoff

Replied by: Asher Schweigart on 11-10-2012 05:00:04 PM
Ok, that's odd, for some reason one of Corey's posts was posted instead of what I was trying to post! (twice!) Sorry about that!
Corey, did you ever figure out how to do this? I am trying to do something similar; I am trying to collect 2-4 digits and have * as a local hotlink.
I tried a digits element, but with \* as a hotlink pressing star produces a nomatch. With * as the hotlink, an error.semantic is thrown.
I tried a number element as well, but it generates a error.semantic for both * and \*
Then I tried a form element, since I am using \* as a hotlink for it elsewhere with no issues.
I tried using builtin:dtmf?maxlength=5 in the dtmf grammar setting for the digits element, but it was ignored.
Then I tried ".. .? .?" in the keypress setting. That exited with a mismatch if you entered less than 2 digits, but it still allowed more than 4.

Subject: RE: New Message from Asher Schweigart in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - CVP
Replied by: Asher Schweigart on 11-10-2012 07:29:42 PM
I have figured how to do what I wanted to do, sort of

I am using the form element, and using the wildcards. I figured out that putting spaced in between the keypress string is no different than creating a new keypress row.
So “.. .? .?” is the same as three entries “..” “.?” “.?”
The document that Janine linked to says that if the pattern ends in a repetition operator (?, +, or *), additional digits after the patter will be matched. So, .? is the same as .*

Also, I remembered that the matching stops looking as soon as it finds a match. I was remembering incorrectly when I wrote the last post; the string I was using, “.. .? .?” matched 1 or 2 digits, and that’s it. That’s because as soon as I entered two digits, the “..” pattern was matched, and the program stopped looking.
So, to match 1-4 digits, the pattern would be: “.... .?”, or “.... .*”

I found no easy way to match 2-4 digits though. If you did the patter “.... .. .?”, as soon as you entered 2 digits the pattern would be matched.

However, the reason I needed to match 2-4 digits is to collect a year that is greater than today. So, I can assume that all 4 digit dates are going to start with 2, and I can do the following pattern:
“2... 1. 3. 4. 5. 6. .8 .9. 0. .?”
The only special case here would be trying to enter a 2-digit year that starts with 2. To handle that, I’ll just set the interdigittimeout to something like 1500ms. I’ll still have to check if the year is valid, because a user could enter 237, and that would be valid, but at least this way for most cases the input will be valid and immediately accepted without the user having to wait for the interdigittimeout to kick in.

Subject: Re: New Message from Asher Schweigart in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - CVP
Replied by: Janine Graves on 12-10-2012 01:23:26 AM
Hi Asher,

I've found that with DTMF-Only gateway, you have to specify this in the
gateway CLI, otherwise it won't accept * and digits.
'vxml allow-star-digit'

If you do 'vxml allow-star-digit' in the gateway and then use a Digits
element, with MinDigits:2 and MaxDigits:4 and set the Local Hotlink to \*,
then it exits immediately down the hotlinks path if the caller presses
*. And otherwise allows 2-4 digits.

Note that with DTMF-only, you ONLY need to use \* in the Form element
and the HotLinks (both global and local), But in the Menu elements, use
just * (no backslash).

I've also found this week, much to my surprise, that the DTMF-only
doesn't behave exactly as expected when I use a Form element with the
following:
+DTMF Grammar: builtin:dtmf/digits?length=5
+DTMF Grammar: builtin:dtmf/digits?length=9

In this case, it accepts 5 or more digits, not just 5 or 9 as I'd expected.

Live and learn.

Replied by: Janine Graves on 12-10-2012 01:24:41 AM

Hi Asher,

I've found that with DTMF-Only gateway, you have to specify this in the
gateway CLI, otherwise it won't accept * and digits.

'vxml allow-star-digit'

If you do 'vxml allow-star-digit' in the gateway and then use a Digits
element, with MinDigits:2 and MaxDigits:4 and set the Local Hotlink to \*,

then it exits immediately down the hotlinks path if the caller presses
*. And otherwise allows 2-4 digits.

Note that with DTMF-only, you ONLY need to use \* in the Form element
and the HotLinks (both global and local), But in the Menu elements, use
just * (no backslash).

I've also found this week, much to my surprise, that the DTMF-only
doesn't behave exactly as expected when I use a Form element with the
following:

+DTMF Grammar: builtin:dtmf/digits?length=5

+DTMF Grammar: builtin:dtmf/digits?length=9

In this case, it accepts 5 or more digits, not just 5 or 9 as I'd expected.

Live and learn.
Comments
arun.sharma11
Community Member

If you want Cisco's dtmf gateway to recognize a range such as 3 to 5 digits then specify "...+ ....." 

or "....? ....."without quotes in the dtmf_keypress setting.

carlos.trivino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there all,

I'm trying to understand what is the conclusion of all of the above as I'm facing a similar issue. In a nut shell, this is what the IVR should ask for: “Please enter you 10 digits phone number followed by the pound sign. To return to the main menu, press star.”

The difference is that I'm doing testing using Debug Call Studio Project  (Call Studio 10.0) to test this but it does not work: I always get NoMatch regardless of the input.  In the Form settings I have set DTMF Keypress as: ". .? .? .? .? .? .? .? .? .?" (without the double quotes) and another DTMF Keypress as: \*[*]. When executing it, in all cases I get NoMatch as the result. In the General Settings of my application I have set the VoiceXML Gateway as: 'Cisco Unified CVP 4.1/7.0/8.0/8.5/9.0 VoiceXML2.1 with Cisco DTMF'. There is not Nuance ASR engine configured.

I have also tried the ‘Digits’ with the Local Hotlink as suggested on the email chain above but it does not work when I pressed the start key. Is this something that definitely won’t work using the Debug Call Studio Project option or is there something else that is preventing this from working?

Any help is truly appreciated !!

Carlos A Trivino

janinegraves
Spotlight
Spotlight

The Debugger is not good at simulating the voice browser - it can't handle the dots or question marks that the IOS vb expects.

If you want 10 digits or star then you should probably have two DTMF Keypress settings:

DTMF Keypress: ..........

DTMF Keypress: \*

And you won't be able to test this with the debugger.

carlos.trivino
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Janine, it works. The problem now is the '#'. Because I set 10 dots (.........) then the '#' gets carry over for the next entry point or menu. Is there a way to allow either 10 digits or 10 digits and the pound? I tried to add the termrchar under the VoiceXMLPorperty/Value configuration at the bottom of the 'Settings' tab but it doesn't seem to take it: as soon as I enter the last digit, it moves one with the next prompt.

Thanks for your help!!!

Carlos A Trivino

janinegraves
Spotlight
Spotlight

Unfortunately, the DTMF-gateway doesn't support the termtimeout property which would configure it to wait for the optional terminating character #. Nor does it let you collect * in a Digits Element. Nor does it allow you to specify the min and max number of digits to wait for in a Form element. Frustrating!

So, in the Form element, set one DTMF Keypress to \*

Set the other DTMF Keypress to 11 dots followed by a question mark ...........?

to accept 10 digits or more.

The voice browser will wait the interdigittimeout for the 11th dtmf (which it'll strip off if it's a #).
It'll throw a NoMatch if the caller enters fewer than 10 digits.
Unfortunately, there's no way to limit it to accepting max 11 digits.
If you're using Studio 11.0, you can use the SetValue element to determine the length.

Hope this helps!

carlos.trivino
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Janine, I have set it up as you suggested and it works:

1. One entry with \*

2. One entry with ………..?

3. One entry with 0 (as the caller can press zero to transfer the call out to an agent.)

I have one last question. How to set it up if I need to capture a string between 13 and 16 digits and also using the pound as the string delimiter. In other words, the following entries have to be accepted:

1. Star key.

2. An entry with 13 to 16 digits (actually this is the case of the credit cards that are 13, 15 or 16 digits).

3. Zero key (to transfer to an agent).

Thanks again Janine.

Regards,

Carlos A. Trivino

Consultant Professional Services - Customer Experience Solutions

Bell Business Markets

5115 Creekbank. 2nd Fl. West Tower.

Mississauga, Ontario L4W 5R1

Office: 905-614-8179

Use of this message is governed by our email policy at www.bell.ca/EmailConfidentialityWarning<http://www.bell.ca/EmailConfidentialityWarning>

janinegraves
Spotlight
Spotlight

The dtmf-gateway is really annoying. If you have a setting for keypress:0 then you won't be able to collect a credit card number beginning with 0. Is that ok?

If not, then configure the Form element with only one setting for

..?

This will actually allow 1 or more dtmf tones.

You'll need to follow this with an element to check

if the element data value equals (as string) to * then return menu

if the element data value equals (as string) to 0 then return agent

otherwise: other

connect the 'other' path to a SetValue element to determine the length of the input.

Then connect to another decision element to check if the length is between 13 and 16.

carlos.trivino
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Janine, so if I don’t have to capture credit cards starting with zero, how would the setup look like?

Thanks again.

Carlos A. Trivino

Consultant Professional Services - Customer Experience Solutions

Bell Business Markets

5115 Creekbank. 2nd Fl. West Tower.

Mississauga, Ontario L4W 5R1

Office: 905-614-8179

Use of this message is governed by our email policy at www.bell.ca/EmailConfidentialityWarning<http://www.bell.ca/EmailConfidentialityWarning>

janinegraves
Spotlight
Spotlight

Keypress:\*

Keypress:0

Keypress: ..............? (14dots followed by ?)

This will accept * or 0 as the first touch-tone. But any other string of fewer than 13 touch-tones causes a NoMatch event.

This set of Keypress settings also allows the caller to enter * in the middle of the string. So, you can check in a Decision element if their entry contains *

But, there's no way to limit the max number of touch-tones, so you'll have to calculate the length of the entry. This is very easy in the Studio 11.0 SetValue element which creates LocalVariable eg, named localLength (I can give you details if necessary).

You'll use a Decision element and check:

if the Element Data Form_01 value equals (String) Constant String * -->menu

if the Element Data Form_01 value contains * --> nomatch

if Element Data Form_01 value equals Constant 0 --> agent

if LocalVariable localLength >= 13 and LocalVariable localLength <=16 --> valid

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links