Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Levent Ozturk on 25-02-2013 09:56:01 AM
Hi everyone,
We have a custom directory service that is working fine on 6941 and 8945 but we have problems when with 9971.
Whenever I make a search in the directory service with no criterias given (no name, no surname, nothing) I always get a "HTTP Error [500]!" error. 
Where can I start to look for the problem? 
Thanks for your help.
Levent

Subject: Re: New Message from Levent Ozturk in IP Phone Services (IPPS) - IP Phone S
Replied by: Sascha Monteiro on 25-02-2013 12:20:16 PM
try with a packet capture with wireshark or so to see what is communicated
between phone and webserver

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Cisco Developer Community Forums <
cdicuser@developer.cisco.com> wrote:

> Levent Ozturk has created a new message in the forum "IP Phone Services
> Questions": --------------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everyone,
> We have a custom directory service that is working fine on 6941 and 8945
> but we have problems when with 9971.
> Whenever I make a search in the directory service with no criterias given
> (no name, no surname, nothing) I always get a "HTTP Error [500]!" error.
> Where can I start to look for the problem?
> Thanks for your help.
> Levent
> --
> To respond to this post, please click the following link:
> http://developer.cisco.com/web/ipps/community/-/message_boards/view_message/12353134or simply reply to this email.

Subject: RE: Re: New Message from Levent Ozturk in IP Phone Services (IPPS) - IP Pho
Replied by: Miroslav Jasso on 26-02-2013 05:46:26 AM

Hi,  500 means "Internal server error". It looks your web application has a problem to serve the phones request. Try to check logs on the server (eventlog, ...).
Mirek

Subject: RE: Re: New Message from Levent Ozturk in IP Phone Services (IPPS) - IP Pho
Replied by: David Staudt on 26-02-2013 10:00:47 AM
Some models handle un-specified input values differently.  For example, with a input fields 'requiredValue' and 'optionalValue', if the user submits the screen without putting anything into the optional field, the phone may request either:
GET /myService?requiredValue=something&optionalValue=
or
GET /myService?requiredValue=something

This makes a difference in the server-side script, as 'if (optionalValue=="")' might work for the former, but won't for the latter (the optionalValue param was never received and is 'undefined'.)  You will want to check if optionalValue!=undefined before assuming it has any value (including empty string)

Replied by: Levent Ozturk on 27-02-2013 01:30:45 AM
Hi David,
Can we check if optionalValue!=undefined before assuming it has any value (including empty string) on call manager? (We enabled debug on IIS but did not receive any request.)
Thanks

Replied by: David Staudt on 27-02-2013 10:03:42 AM
The behaviour is phone/firmware specific and not configurable.  Just a guess as to whether this is the actual problem.  We can perhaps gain some more insight by comparing a network packet capture of a working vs non-working phone - and of course identifying the nature of the failure in the application script (on IIS?) would be the primary troubleshooting avenue.

Subject: RE: IP Phone service not working on 9971
Replied by: Mert Yeter on 12-03-2013 10:04:55 AM
Hi David,
I captured working and non-working phones packets. I discovered that if I didn't give any value, phone makes GET requests without adding parameters, so I get http 500 error.
Working phone (6941): GET /PhoneService.asmx/GetPhoneBookResGM?firstname=&lastname=&title=&departmentname= HTTP/1.1

Non-working phone (9971): GET /PhoneService.asmx/GetPhoneBookResGM HTTP/1.1
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Missing parameter: firstname.

Subject: RE: IP Phone service not working on 9971
Replied by: David Staudt on 13-03-2013 12:54:44 AM
Yep, so your script will need to handle this possibility, i.e. parameter being missing results in the same script action as if parameter is missing but null/empty
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links