Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Farhang Farid on 28-10-2009 04:07:22 PM
Hello Folks

I have a few logging related questions which I was hoping someone can help me with 

1.Day light saving: If the Application Activity logger is cut by the hour, , how the log file for the day light saving (rolling back by an hour is named

2. Assume log files are cut by hour. If a call arrives at 9:58 and completes at 10:02, which log file the call will be recorded, 9-9:59 one or 10-10:59 one?
According to the CVP user manual, the call will be recorded in the 9-9:59 log file. Can Cisco confirm this is the case? (Note to 

3. Assume log files are cut by hour. If a call arrives at 9:58 and maxes out the 50K cache at 9:59, then the first chunk of the call records are written out to the 9-9:59 log file, and the call and logging continue. At 10:02, the call completes, which log file the second chunk of call records will be recorded, 9-9:59 one or 10-10:59 one?

I assume 9-9:59 log file, is this the case

4. Assume log files are cut by hour. If a call arrives at 9:58 for Appl1 and transfer to Appl2 at 9:59 and completes at 10:02,  the first part of the call records will be written to Appl1 9-9:59 log file, but which log file the second part of call records will be recorded, Appl2 9-9:59 one or Appl2 10-10:59 one?

I assume if the file is transferred to App2 before the cut off hour it will be logged in App2 9-9:59 log file, is this the case

Subject: RE: Logging Question
Replied by: JP Beaudry on 28-10-2009 06:54:07 PM
Hi Farhang,

To help folks ponder these questions, is there any chance you could throw some light on the customer situation that triggered them? Is it a extremely high load that warrants files rolling on the hour? Are log files somehow further manipulated individually by the customer? Maybe there is a novel use-case here that we could make easier in future enhancements.

Thanks,
JP

Replied by: Farhang Farid on 28-10-2009 07:02:36 PM
Hi JP , thanks for your response,

We're storing data in log files for reporting purposes, an extraction tool will extract information from the log files and store them in an external database for reporting, as a result of this, we require to roll the log files more often(hourly)basis. 

Hope that explains the scenario

Replied by: JP Beaudry on 29-10-2009 10:08:59 PM
Can we tempt the customer in a nice combo of CVP Reporting server + CUIS (Intelligence Suite) presentation?

Replied by: Glen Thorne on 30-10-2009 01:03:40 AM
As part of the Cisco sales team, I can tell you that CVP Reporting and CUIS were positioned as important options to consider, but the client decided against.

Can anyone help Farhang out with validation on his CVP logging questions?  Not getting too far other places.

Appreciate it!

- Glen

Replied by: Christopher LeBlanc on 30-10-2009 06:25:35 PM
Hi,

As we understand the questions below, it seems as though you are
running a tool that collects data from the VXML Server activity logs
before the logs have become unlocked.  May we suggest to avoid the
below scenarios, you change the way you collect the data from the files
such that you will only open the files when they become unlocked.  This
would gaurantee that the calls are completed and ensure the collection
of a full dataset.

Here are answers to some of your questions:

2. Assume log files

are cut by hour. If a call arrives at 9:58 and completes at 10:02, which log

file the call will be recorded, 9-9:59 one or 10-10:59 one?

It will be logged in the 9:59 file.

3. Assume log files are cut by hour. If a call arrives at 9:58 and maxes out the 50K cache at 9:59,

then the first chunk of the call records are written out to the 9-9:59 log

file, and the call and logging continue. At 10:02, the call completes, which

log file the second chunk of call records will be recorded, 9-9:59 one or

10-10:59 one?

The chances of the cache maxing out is slim because the cache is
emptied on a per-call basis.  Further testing will be needed to
determine the behavior of the VXML Server in this corner case. Is this
something you can test?

4. Assume log files are cut by hour. If a call arrives at 9:58 for Appl1 and transfer to Appl2 at

9:59 and completes at 10:02,  the first part of the call records will be

written to Appl1 9-9:59 log file, but which log file the second part of call

records will be recorded, Appl2 9-9:59 one or Appl2 10-10:59 one?

We believe that the application transfers are treated as two seperate
calls for logging purposes.  So the call will be written in two
seperate files. The second half being written in the 10-10:59 file. 
This behavior will need to be confirmed through our testing.

I have attached the User Guide for the VXML Server which describes logging in detail.

Regards,
-Chris

Replied by: Glen Thorne on 30-10-2009 06:55:48 PM
Thanks Chris!!

Replied by: Christopher LeBlanc on 30-10-2009 09:34:59 PM
Hi,
I did some testing.  To answer your first question:
1.Day light saving: If the Application Activity logger is cut by the
hour, , how the log file for the day light saving (rolling back by an
hour is named

The calls that are placed after the clock is turned back an hour will continue to be logged in the current log file for the one o'clock AM hour.

Regards,
-Chris

Replied by: Qing Ge on 31-10-2009 02:08:11 AM
Thanks, Chris. I work with Glen and Farhang on this project.

You mentioned in your previous note: "May we suggest to avoid the below scenarios, you change the way you collect the data from the files such that you will only open the files when they become unlocked.  This would gaurantee that the calls are completed and ensure the collection of a full dataset." -- What is the log file collection method you would suggest so that we will only open the unlocked files? The customer wants to gather the log files for reports as soon as possible.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links