Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: null on 07-12-2005 08:00:52 PM
Hi,

A student has asked a good question. He will be building a banking application and callers will be entering a PIN. Can any of the standard Audium elements (eg number or digits) individually be made not to log?

One option I have just considered is to have a simple "action" element that uses the Java API to set logging to off. Execute this just prior to the PIN digit capture, and execute another just after the PIN capture to turn it back on. A catch here is the last "action" element could set logging to a level different to that of the entire app (ie, we are overriding app properties logging level). Any comments?

Thanks.

Regards, Strafford

Subject: RE: Preventing logging PINs
Replied by: Vance Vagell on 07-12-2005 08:35:37 PM
Hi Strafford,

Your solution for this problem is a good one. However, you [i:0ff18c4165]can[/i:0ff18c4165] keep track of the previous logging level, by storing it in a session variable before switching it off. Then, when you revert you can pull this old value out of the session variable and use it to restore the logging to its previous level.

Additionally, custom elements have full control over which variables and messages are added to the various logs. For high-security applications, it may be worth-while to create a custom element that will never log certain inputs.

Regards,
Vance

Replied by: null on 15-12-2005 12:06:45 PM
Hi Vance,

Sat down to implement an element to do this - it turns out that the method to set the logging level is only available in CallStartAPI (at least according to 3.4.1 Javadocs). Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Regards, Strafford

Replied by: Vance Vagell on 19-12-2005 04:15:35 PM
Hi Strafford,

Yes, you are correct. After reviewing the Javadocs, the only custom component that can alter the logging level is an On Call Start class (i.e. from CallStartAPI). However, you can still accomplish this task using the second recommendation from my previous reply; you can create a custom high-security voice element that logs little or no information about the caller's input.

Regards,
Vance
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links