Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Anders Westlund on 15-06-2009 03:58:11 PM

Is there a way that check if a call is in protected mode (i.e.. babu is palyed in both ends of the call)?
We have developed an application that allow call transfer between proteced phones both IP-phones  and protected phones on an external PBX.
When transfering calls between IP-phones ther is no problem: Babu is played in both end.
But when we do a transfer between the PBX and and an IP phone no babu is played at the PBX when the call is transfered (I guess this is related to that no new signalling is sent to the PBX.)
We would need a way to be able to retrieve the securty status of an ogoing call. I have enabled full logging in the J-TAPI interface and inspected the logs, but I cannot find any diffference between proteced (babu is played) and non-protected (no babu palyed) call setup. I have also tried the getCall()).getCallSecurityStatus() call and I have not seen any difference between proteced and normal calls.
I think all lines between the CUCM and the PBX is encrypted but babu is only played then the call is in protetec state and the phones at both ends are encrypted/protected.

Thankful for any ideas!

Subject: RE: Protected phone(babu) and J-tapi?
Replied by: David Staudt on 15-06-2009 04:54:28 PM
'Babu' is throwing me for a loop...what is this?  If this is a 'pass-through' encryption mechanism where encryption is handled entirely via the media stream, then UCM (and JTAPI) will be unaware of whether it is in effect or not on a given call.  If every call coming from the PBX is guaranteed to be secure, then perhaps you can examine the calling ID via JTAPI and confirm it is coming from the PBX's direction..?

If the call is a fully secure via the built-in UCM secure-call mechanisms, then getCall()).getCallSecurityStatus() should work.

Replied by: Anders Westlund on 16-06-2009 10:26:50 AM
Babu is a tone sequence that is played at both end when a call is protected to indicate that the connection is safe.
see:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/security/7_0_1/secugd/sectone.html
for more information.

I've done some testing with the security level and it does not give me the information I need. In the example below calls between 7002 and 7004 is protected (babu is played in both ends) and calls involving 1000 is only encrypted but not protected. The test is an application that does the following steps:
1)Take an incoming call and transfer it to a CTI-port and put it to hold
2)Setup a new call to another phone
3)Wait some time
4)connect the incoming call (received in 1) with the new call setup in 2

It seems to me like my application has problem retireving the information under several cirucmstances. See the trace below. As I understand it security status 1 menas that it is not possible to retireve the infomation.I think it is a bit strange that I can retieve the information in 2 but not in 5? 
Also, and what is more sever, the call in 4: is not protected only encrypted. I.e. no Babu is played at the remote end when the call is setup, and the call is not considered safe. We get the security status 3 for the call anyway. This indicates that we can not use the getCallSecurity call to retireve. So does anyone have any ideas how to retrieve the "protected" status?? Maybe the "CiscoRTPInputKeyEv" could be used? Or is this event reflected in the getCall.getCallSecurityStatus() call?

1:
Action is done on number:7002 Original call securtiy status is:3 Calling:7002 called:7004
New call securtiy status is:1Calling:7002called:1000
Action is done on number:7002 Original call securtiy status is:3 Calling:7002 Called:7004
Action is done on number:7002 new call securtiy status is:1 Calling:7002 called:1000

2:
Action is done on number:7004 Original call securtiy status is:3 Calling:7002 called:7004
New call securtiy status is:1Calling:7004called:1000
Action is done on number:7004 Original call securtiy status is:3 Calling:7002 Called:7004
Action is done on number:7004 new call securtiy status is:1 Calling:7004 called:1000

3:
Action is done on number:7002 Original call securtiy status is:1 Calling:1000 called:7002
New call securtiy status is:1Calling:7002called:7004
Action is done on number:7002 Original call securtiy status is:1 Calling:1000 Called:7002
Action is done on number:7002 new call securtiy status is:1 Calling:7002 called:7004

4:
Action is done on number:1000 Original call securtiy status is:3 Calling:1000 called:7002
New call securtiy status is:1Calling:1000called:7004

5:
Action is done on number:7002 Original call securtiy status is:1 Calling:7004 called:7002
New call securtiy status is:1Calling:7002called:1000
Action is done on number:7002 Original call securtiy status is:1 Calling:7004 Called:7002
Action is done on number:7002 new call securtiy status is:1 Calling:7002 called:1000

Replied by: David Staudt on 16-06-2009 03:37:49 PM
Per the JTAPI developer guide:

getCallSecurityStatus()
Returns the call security status of the call
(0¿UNKNOWN, 1¿NOTAUTHENTICATED, 2¿AUTHENTICATED,
3-ENCRYPTED).

So '1' in your results seems to indicate 'not authenticated' - not 'unknown' - which may make a little more sense in your scenarios.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the specific call-flows in each scenario?  Please indicate which devices are monitored, which JTAPI/phone operations are performed, secure status at each relevant point, etc.  Also helpful may be the JTAPI logs - configure detailed/all-types.  Feel free to attach here if you can't spot anything unusual.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links