Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Patrick Legate on 17-12-2012 09:29:34 AM
We have a DTMF only application and the challenge seems quite simple:  The prompt says: “Please enter the 3 to 10 digit account number followed by the pound key, or press the star key to return to the previous menu.”  The idea is the caller gets 3 tries to enter a valid account number then the call is transferred to an agent, and as stated in the prompt if they press the star key any time during the digit entry the call flow would go back to the previous menu (duh!).  What I would like to use is a digits element and set Min Digits to 3, Max Digits to 10, Max No Input to 1, Max No Match to 1, termchar to #, Disable Hotlinks to false and a local Hotlink set to \*.   Next, any combination of 3-10 digits would be checked as an account number, if valid we would proceed with the call flow and if invalid, no match or no input a retry counter would be incremented and the caller re-prompted (or transferred).       This works as expected in all respects except when the star key is pressed it goes down the No Match Path instead of the local hotlink path.  The number element thinks the star key is a decimal point so that doesn’t work.   I can build a  multiple element routine that examines each key press and I can combine a form with a custom decision element that does the same, but this seems way to convoluted for what should be out of the box functionality.  Oh, and I am using Cisco Call Studio 7.0(2).     Any brilliant ideas?  I will take any obvious answer too!   Pat

Subject: RE: New Message from Patrick Legate in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Genera
Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 17-12-2012 09:47:16 AM
I personally dislike the mixing of data entry and menu control. This is a carry-over from the older IVRs where each key was being passed up and there was no buffering, so you could get this sort of control. I think it’s very old school, although I have made your proposed system work – precisely with the STAR key. I don’t know why it does not work for you.

I would prefer to separate menu selection and number entry:

1.  If you know your account number, please press 1.

2.  If not, press 2 to return to the previous menu.

Then if they press 1 –“please enter your 3 – 10 digit account number followed by pound”

Regards,
Geoff

Subject: RE: Star key as a Local Hotlink in a digits element?
Replied by: Patrick Legate on 17-12-2012 10:30:47 AM
In our particular case your option 1 above is the menu level we want to go back to during account entry.  If the caller does not know their account number they press 0 to speak to an agent at that level.  The last thing we need are more menu layers right?  If you want a justification..  immediately after the caller enters a valid account they are prompted for a PIN. If the caller  knows they fat fingered their own account but it happens to be a valid account the back button (star key) is a nice feature, otherwise the caller has to type in junk 3 times to get an agent or hang up and call back.  Also a universal back button is a convenient feature to have  in our case the star key works well for that task (i even have one on all my browsers little arrow in the upper left corner).
Old school? I will take old school.  Heck, I think I mentioned we have a DTMF only application that should have made it clear where I'm coming from.  I am also over 50 so I am allowed to wear black socks with sandals and drive down the freeway with my blinker on.
Your condescending tone and answer "Mine works, I don't know why it does not work for you." is not at all helpful.  Are you running 7.0(2)? is the call in fact going down the hotlink path? are you deploying onto a vxmlserver where you actually are dialing a phone to check the call flow?  
Pat

Subject: RE: New Message from Patrick Legate in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Genera
Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 17-12-2012 11:25:16 AM
Patrick,

>>> Your condescending tone and answer "Mine works, I don't know why it does not work for you." is not at all helpful.

Sorry, I did not intend to be condescending in any way. Merely providing my view – you are crochety today.

>>>Are you running 7.0(2)?

No, CVP 8.0.

>>>is the call in fact going down the hotlink path?

Of course it does.  Jeez!

>>>are you deploying onto a vxmlserver where you actually are dialing a phone to check the call flow?

It’s in production and has been so for over a year. So yes.

>>>Old school? I will take old school.  Heck, I think I mentioned we have a DTMF only application that should have made it clear where I'm coming from.  I am also over 50 so I am allowed to wear black socks with sandals and drive down the freeway with my blinker on.

Old school – yes, I’m over 60. DTMF only – yes, what is your point?

I’ll dig out the application and see if I can provide some hints. I can’t post a picture, but the XML file says:

<local_hotlinks>
<local_hotlink>
<name>Star</name>
<dtmf_grammar_type>Inline</dtmf_grammar_type>
<dtmf_grammar_value>\*</dtmf_grammar_value>
<speech_grammar_type>-</speech_grammar_type>
<speech_grammar_value/>
<throws_event>false</throws_event>
<event_name/>
</local_hotlink>
</local_hotlinks>

Are you using a Form? You need to use a Form

<settings>
<setting name="inputmode">dtmf</setting>
<setting name="noinput_timeout">5s</setting>
<setting name="form_max_noinput_count">3</setting>
<setting name="form_max_nomatch_count">3</setting>
<setting name="confirm_max_noinput_count">3</setting>
<setting name="confirm_max_nomatch_count">3</setting>
<setting name="max_disconfirmed_count">3</setting>
<setting name="dtmf_grammar">builtin:dtmf/digits?maxlength=11</setting>
<setting name="dtmf_keypress"></setting>
<setting name="help_dtmf_keypress"></setting>
<setting name="modal">false</setting>
<setting name="field_name">foundation_fld</setting>
<setting name="slot_name"></setting>
<setting name="slot_element_data"></setting>
<setting name="secure_logging">false</setting>
</settings>

Regards,
Geoff

Subject: RE: New Message from GEOFFREY THOMPSON in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Gen
Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 17-12-2012 01:32:16 PM
Patrick,

Janine emailed me to as me to add to this thread:

“Tell him to add 'vxml allow star-digit' to gateway cli.”

Regards,
Geoff

Replied by: Janine Graves on 17-12-2012 07:41:30 PM
Hi Patrick,
When you are using DTMF-Only, the default is that if you are using a Digits element, or (equivalently) using a Form element with DTMF-Grammar setting 'builtin:dtmf/digits' then a * key from the caller causes a NoMatch event - EVEN if you set \* as a HotLink (local hotlink or global hotlink).

If you want to be able to accept * as a HotLink while collecting digits, then you have to add 'vxml allow star-digit' to the vxml gateway CLI. And now if you set the Hotlink to listen for \* (as you already are doing) then it'll be recognized and exit down your Local-Hotlink exit state (or jump to your global HotLink, if that's where you have it configured).

Replied by: Patrick Legate on 18-12-2012 10:25:44 AM
Geoff, Janine,

Thanks for your help.  I will see if I have access to the VXML Gateway otherwise I will just program around it.  Do you know if there are other side effects to setting the vxml allow-star-digit? Either with other elements within the vxml application or other call processing?  I am just imagining me giving my co-workers high-fives when we get this to work while someone is wondering why the star key is misbehaving when accessing their voice mail.
Again thanks.
Pat

Replied by: GEOFFREY THOMPSON on 18-12-2012 10:59:57 AM
>>>> I am just imagining me giving my co-workers high-fives when we get this to work while someone is wondering why the star key is misbehaving when accessing their voice mail.

Yeah, that would be a bummer. But this is just a command for VXML, so it “should” not affect others (but you know how that goes). Do you have a lab system you can try it on?

Regards,
Geoff

Replied by: Janine Graves on 18-12-2012 11:16:04 AM
This will always allow * to be accepted whenever the caller is entering digits.
So, if you have a Digits element to collect an account number and if you HAVEN'T set the HotLink to collect \* then the caller could fat-finger and you'll have a * in the getAccountNumber.value variable. If you try to use a Say It Smart to speak this as Digits, the Say it Smart will throw an error (since * is not a digit).

The way around this would be to always specify \* as either a local or global hotllink.

I don't know of other issues, but I can't guarantee there won't be any. You'll have to fully test this.  But, as Geoff said, this will only come into play while using VXML.

Replied by: Rohit Gupta on 31-10-2013 03:18:55 PM
Hi,

I am facing the same issue. Could you advise on the steps to add  'vxml allow star-digit'

Thanks in advance.

Rohit

Replied by: Janine Graves on 31-10-2013 03:29:38 PM
You just type this into the gateway:   vxml allow-star-digit

Subject: Re: New Message from Rohit Gupta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General D
Replied by: Janine Graves on 31-10-2013 05:55:21 PM
Paul Tindall, Do you know if it's possible to set 'vxml allow-star-digit' for one Studio application? Instead of gateway-wide? -- Janine Graves

Replied by: Rohit Gupta on 31-10-2013 03:42:32 PM
Thank you Janine for your quick reply.

In the environment, I am working there are other voice applications running. Is it possible to isolate it for specific CVP VXML IVR applicaton.

Thanks,

Rohit

Subject: RE: Re: New Message from Rohit Gupta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Gener
Replied by: Paul Tindall on 31-10-2013 06:56:17 PM
As far as I'm aware it's a global setting only.

Subject: Re: New Message from KRISTIAN MARTELL in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Gene
Replied by: Janine Graves on 31-10-2013 07:58:21 PM
It's been a few years since I tested this, so I may be mistaken but, I think that if you are collecting digits using a Digits element, then the only way the gateway will actually honor the \*  in a local or global hotlink is if you have set vxml allow-star-digit enabled.  I'm pretty sure the star from the caller would cause a NoMatch event if you don't set vxml allow-star-digit. -- Janine Graves

Subject: RE: Re: New Message from Rohit Gupta in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Gener
Replied by: KRISTIAN MARTELL on 31-10-2013 07:48:36 PM
I am pretty sure that you do not have to use the "vxml allow-star-digit" if you are escaping the * with the \ before it within the xml. If you need to only use the * key for one pp you can do like described above in this post by setting a hotlink on "\*" or setting DTMF Keypresses to "\*" in the form you need to use *.

Subject: RE: Re: New Message from KRISTIAN MARTELL in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) -
Replied by: Janine Graves on 01-11-2013 09:08:16 AM
I just tested this on my CVP 8.5 system with 15.1(3)T2 - and if you are doing DTMF-Only, Digits element, the gateway only honors HotLinks containing \* if you've enabled vxml allow-star-digit on the gateway.  Without the vxml allow-star-digit, then it causes a NoMatch to occur when caller presses star key during the Digits element.

Let me know if this has changed on CVP 9. I don't have that installed yet.

Replied by: Rohit Gupta on 01-11-2013 09:15:26 AM
Janine, I think you are right. But need to test by setting the vxml allow-star-digit in the voice gateway.

Kristian, It work only when * is pressed at the beginning of the digit collection when it is coded as local hotlink \*. However, my requirement is that * can be pressed anytime during min and max digit collection to provide a specific treatment. But it is treating * as invalid input when pressed between min and max digit collection.

Appreciate, if you can throw some light.
Comments
howietee66
Community Member

This really needs to be in a Cisco document/Tech Note/etc. somewhere... Just had the pleasure of figuring out why I kept getting error.semantic / invalid regex grammar & the VXML error.wav everytime I ran my CVP 10.5.1 app with its * hotlink to main menu...

janinegraves
Spotlight
Spotlight

I assume you forgot the backslash -

When using Cisco-DTMF gateway: in Form element or HotLinks you need to

include the backslash \* to collect DTMF-* But in N_Option_Menu

Settings tab, you configure * (not backslash) to collect DTMF-*.

And if you're trying to collect the DTMF-* as a HotLink when using a

Digits element, then it doesn't work unless you configure the gateway

with vxml allow-star-digit.

And, if you have Nuance in the picture, then you DON"T use the

backslash anywhere.

Which part of that might confuse people?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links