Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: UUser SNUUser on 09-02-2010 02:45:45 PM
Hello.  My company has signed up for the Gold Dev Program, and have our Partner and Site ID's.

I am working with my LMS vendor to schedule and launch Training Sessions with one click.  We can find in the XML API documents how to create training sessions, but there doesn't appear to be any functions to create the URL necessary to launch the class. 

I found "GetJoinURLMeeting" and "GetHostURLMeeting" but those appear to only work if we created Meetings and doesn't appear to work for Training Sessions.  Please help direct me on how to launch a Training Session in the same way.

Thanks.

Subject: RE: Starting a Training Session with the XML API
Replied by: Kingsley Lewis on 09-02-2010 09:12:07 PM
Hello,

You can find how to create the URL to host or join a training session from our URL Reference Guide found on the documents tab of this site. 
What I have listed below is the basic form to host a training session.  The documentation will have additional parameters that can be passed in these commands.

The URL API is designed as a browser based API, so if you plan on coding in a language such as java or .net there could be some unexpected results.
Because these languages usually work on the server they do not follow URL redirects which will occur within the browser. The redirects that are returned are not supported if used outside of a browser.

To host a training session first you must switch to use the Training Center service.  This is required only on sites that have multiple services.

http://sitename.webex.com/sitename/o.php?AT=ST&SP=TC&BU={backUrl}

This is the API login command. Since you must login before you can host a meeting, we are providing a chained command to allow you to do login and host a meeting all in one URL.:

p.php?AT=LI

This is the WebEx login parameter:

&WID=enter_login

This is the password parameter for the WebEx login:

&PW=enter_password

This is the MU parameter which is the URL that will load if the login is successful. In this example the MU value is a chained Host Meeting command. If you enter the correct meeting number info it will immediately start the meeting associated with the number you supplied. NOTE: You can only use the MU parameter to chain a second API command with the Login command.

&MU=/sitename/m.php?AT=HM %26MK=enter_meeting_number %26BU=http://ats.corp.webex.com/tools/ts/back_test.htm?fURL=sitename

This is the BU or BackURL for the login command, which means this URL will load if the login is not successful. The page specified below will parse the returned info and notify you of success or provide an error message.

&BU=http://corpsite.com/tools/ts/back_test.htm?fURL=sitename

Details about the Host Meeting command:
This is the Host Meeting command:

m.php?AT=HM

This is the meeting number parameter. The %26 is NOT a typo, multiple parameters in the MU have to be URL-Encoded and the %26 represents an &.:

%26MK=enter_meeting_number

This is the BU for the Host Meeting command. This URL will be loaded after the meeting if the command is successful or immediately if the command is not successful. The page specified below will parse the returned info and notify you of success or provide an error message.:

%26BU=http://corpsite.com/tools/ts/back_test.htm?fURL=sitename

Thank you
-Kingsley Lewis

Replied by: UUser SNUUser on 10-02-2010 03:25:52 PM
Thanks! 

That should help.  So basically though you are saying you have to use the URL API with the training session, not the XML API like it appears is possible with the Meeting Center.  That seems odd to me. 

So, here's my next question... we are integrating this into our web-based LMS.  We wanted to be able to check attendance by student... is that still possible with the training center?   Because with the GetJoinURLMeeting call it seemed to pass the student's name and email which I was assuming was used later to determine attendance.  How is that done with this method where it doesn't appear you are generating a student-specific url? 

Thanks again. 

Reagan

Replied by: Kingsley Lewis on 10-02-2010 10:57:35 PM
Hi Reagan,

Yes the URL API is the correct method.  The XML API works only on the meeting center service and was originally only created for an internal project.  It was never ported over to any of the other services.  Not only that but by creating the URL yourself you are saving processing time and speeding up the code,  so even for Meeting Center integrations I will push to have the developer use the URL API.

The example I have above is for hosting a meeting.  For joining a meeting you will need to pass a name and email address. This is the same in the XML API command for Meeting Center. 

An example of a url for an attendee will look like this

http://sitename.webex.com/sitename/m.php?AT=JM&MK={meetingKey}&AN={full name - use %20 or + for spaces}&AE={Attendee_Email}

This is a list of additional parameters that can be used with the Join Meeting command.
m.php?AT=JM
&MK=MeetingKey
[&AN=AttendeeName]
[&AE=AttendeeEmail]
[&CO=CalloutPhoneNumber]
[&PW=Password]
[&RID=RegistrationID] (TC Only)
[&BU=BackURL]

Once the meeting has ended you can pull attendee data using the XML API command LsttrainingattendeeHistory.  More details are found in chapter 10 of the XML API reference guide - History Services.  Please note that data propagation is not immediate.  It usually takes a few hours for the attendance information to show up.  This also matches the behavior directly from the WebEx pages.

Thank you,
Kingsley Lewis
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links